Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 07:19:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Moving on

Started by PDQ, October 27, 2010, 06:21:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PDQ

October 27, 2010, 06:21:24 pm Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:23:04 pm by PDQ
Nothing is signed as yet, should be by this time next week, but it looks like we're on the move.  :D We've almost secured a place in one of UK's largest and most expensive marinas. A nice, although smaller unit than we currently have, but it's within easy walking distance to the 600 berth marina. The 1st years rent is like, OMG!, 2nd, OMG! OMG! and the third is, well, OMFG!! and it's not something I like to think about too much, well, only when I have to. But hey, in for a penny...  

Thought I would post this up, although somewhat prematurely, but I don't think I'll be back here again for a bit once things kick off. I will however try and keep you updated.

rustyeod

Hey PDQ
We just moved into a marina as well and we weren't sure of the rent either, but the proximity to 99% of our work has been great.  The ability to go back to the shop for that little adjustment or dart is great.  Although I am not used to the walk in business (my old shop was at home) the jobs that have walked thru my door has been great as well. Overall I am relieved and glad my wife pushed me into the move.

JuneC

Hey PDQ, where are you?  I just did a tonneau cover for a 288 Bayliner flybridge and they need a full enclosure.  No time - boat leaves for Bristol on board a ship on Monday.  If you're anywhere near Bristol, I'll give them your name/number.  I know Richard's on the other coast. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

hiya

y way out of my way June, nice of you to think of it though  ;D

Looking at the work you do Jerry you'll be just fine. Rent is such a business killer
so try to stock stuff to sell over the counter, you should be able to sell 20%
more stuff to customers who just want some waterproofer or a fitting or 3 .

rich

Mike8560

Good luck on the move pdq it sounds exciting to keepus posted a d do t be a stranger
rent sure sucks cheaper is always good. Im glad I moved when I did with my trouble.
Ona good note
my son may
learn the trade. Well see soon

Darren Henry

QuoteOna good note
my son may
learn the trade

You're gonna need a wider garage for the new sign:

" Mike and brother and son and occasionally some friends who drop by to help out marine fabrication. 555-1212. please leave a message, we can't decide who should answer the phone"  LOL.

But seriously; That would be nice if that's he wants to do. Any job working with your hands is becoming a lost art these days. We could sure use recruits; and, where you can work this well with John, some good family time with your son should fall right in there. Mom and I could sit there and drink a few beer and visit until the wee hours when I went home. As much as Dad and I love each other dearly, we visit better working on something.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Grebo

Best of luck with it, I don't like to be so 'available' . I prefer to hide away in my workshop & see the customers when I want to  ;)
Can't be having with all the interruptions. Probably ok if you have a front desk & a rottweiler to fight them off with  ;D

PDQ

Everything is now signed and we've started to move in.  :)

Quote from: rustyeod on October 28, 2010, 04:51:53 am
Hey PDQ
We just moved into a marina as well and we weren't sure of the rent either, but the proximity to 99% of our work has been great.  The ability to go back to the shop for that little adjustment or dart is great.  Although I am not used to the walk in business (my old shop was at home) the jobs that have walked thru my door has been great as well. Overall I am relieved and glad my wife pushed me into the move.

Thanks for that, Rusty.
It's very reassuring to hear about someone else taking the plunge and that its working out OK for you. :tup: For this to work, the new unit has to start paying for itself from day one, otherwise the extra outlay would just be throwing good money down the drain. Sure, it's a nice modern workshop and there's an element of company bragging rights for being located  inside a large marina, but it has to work for us.

Quote from: JuneC on October 28, 2010, 07:13:49 am
Hey PDQ, where are you?  I just did a tonneau cover for a 288 Bayliner flybridge and they need a full enclosure.  No time - boat leaves for Bristol on board a ship on Monday.  If you're anywhere near Bristol, I'll give them your name/number.  I know Richard's on the other coast. 

June

June, thanks for the kind thought, :tup: but I'm afraid we're on the south coast, so it's too far away for us. I don't normally take on any work that's more than a 20 mile round trip, unless I'm really desperate. :)

Thanks again.

Quote from: fragged8 on October 28, 2010, 11:54:41 am
hiya

Looking at the work you do Jerry you'll be just fine. Rent is such a business killer
so try to stock stuff to sell over the counter, you should be able to sell 20%
more stuff to customers who just want some waterproofer or a fitting or 3 .

Thanks for the kind words, Rich. As with Baldrick, I do have a 'cunning plan' in the pipeline. ;)

Will post some images shortly, but in the meantime here's a link showing our new location:

http://www.yachthavens.com/lymington

lilsuz

PDQ,

Good luck in your new business location, sounds like a great one!

I know the feeling, paying rent and all that. I moved into a new space at an Airport last May and pay rent on the first each month  :o but have been able to keep up so far with the increased business which provides the money. However, when something unexpected comes up as it did this month, I'm pretty strapped.

Think positive, work hard, put on a happy face and make your shop a fun place to visit, but not too fun or you'll never get any work done! :P

Kind regards,
Sue

Peppy

Lot's a luck! You'll be beating them from your door with tube scraps no doubt.

Thats because they'll be wanting to buy ONE snap stud, or "just an inch of stitching" (I know we live 100 yards from a marina). Just kidding (sort of).

Just be careful, mortgages (or a lease) can cause people to do strange things. I hear thats why Snakes on a Plane got made.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Darren Henry

Quotehats because they'll be wanting to buy ONE snap stud, or "just an inch of stitching"

I was always getting burned on that when I was cobbling on the side. I'm a journeyman orthopaedic shoe maker and people are asking me to "glue their sandals" or "sew their purse" and here I'll even give you 50 cents. Finally my Dad and a guy I used to work for beat it into my head. Five dollar (or whatever) minimum charge! no exceptions. I've never seen a  garage charge you for 7 1/2 minutes work. If you're lucky it's half hour minimum. More likely 1 hour @ $85/hr. Let the job be 1 minute. First you greet them and smile nicely through a bunch of babble you care nothing about (like they meant to bring this in last fall so they're on the top of the list right? ) then the payment , pleasantries out the door, POOF 15 -20 minutes at $?/hr. for nothing.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Quote from: lilsuz on November 02, 2010, 06:11:03 am

Think positive, work hard, put on a happy face and make your shop a fun place to visit, but not too fun or you'll never get any work done! :P

Kind regards,
Sue

So does this mean your scrapping the idea of a 22 cup coffee pot and a few tables with chairs ?  :)

What a party pooper...:)

Chris

regalman190

Good luck in your new location! Sounds like a great location.
Regal Canvas

PDQ

We're in, and up and running.  ;D

I've uploaded some images of the old shop, the new location, and some of the ground floor area (canvas). The upper floor (upholstery) is also complete'ish, just haven't got round to taking any images as yet. Will do soon.

The ground floor bench is approx 17' x 6', chipboard varnished top and the carcass has been designed to accommodate swing doors (when I have time to make & fit them). It's not exactly what I wanted because I needed to maximise floor space in order to lay a wooden floor for a small loft area at some point.

Hope you like it.

Moving out:

The Location:

Moving In:

Mojo

Very nice. I love that long table. :)

Chris