Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 27, 2024, 05:37:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Machine Oil ? ? ?

Started by Half-Fast, October 24, 2010, 06:30:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Half-Fast

Got my new Juki 1541-S set up early last week.  The oil reservoir is currently below the "L" mark.  The owner's manual specifies a "Defrix ###" brand oil.  My question, is there a machine oil that I might be able to find locally that would be of comparable specs?  If not, I have absolutely no problem giving Gregg a ring tomorrow and waiting a couple of days to get the right stuff.

Also, the manual is kind of vague on oiling the rest of the machine, simply saying "add an adequate amount of oil to......."  I'm sure I'll learn the definition of "adequate" as I go along, but I don't want to get caught with "inadequate" ;D

MinUph

If you do need to manually oil the machine a couple of drops is enough. depending on once a week or a day if you use it all day. You don't want it to be dripping on the fabric.
  I use any clear sewing machine oil. don't use other types as they may have additives that will harm the machine.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Half-Fast

Thanks Paul,

This Juki has a number of felt oil "wicks" placed on/around various components in the upper head, plus another resevoir on the very top of the machine.  The lower reservoir, as far as I can tell, keeps the bobbin/hook and other "below deck" components properly lubed.

Jeff

Mojo

Walmart carries the Singer type machine oil in their sewing section and a bottle is dirt cheap. I believe Joann Fabrics also carries it. I was going to buy a bottle from Bob Kovar and he suggested it would be cheaper to get it locally then pay for shipping through him.

Sewing machine oil is not nearly as complicated as car oil where you have syn blends, different weights, etc.

As already stated, use a clear sewing machine oil and your good to go.

I once experimented and used Mobil 1 on my old machine. It loved it and sewed much quieter. :)

I use nothing but machine oil in my new Chandler.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Every eight hours of use or if it has been a while to oil.  Stainless sewing oil is fine.  Juki does have a defrix oil #2 they recommend to use for the DNU-1541, but again, standard sewing oil should be just fine.

lamx

October 25, 2010, 04:59:27 am #5 Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:02:13 am by lamx
QuoteI once experimented and used Mobil 1 on my old machine. It loved it and sewed much quieter.

Interesting, I just tried Mobil 1 last week.  While it might lubricate sufficiently, it is quite dark and I imagine it would stain any fabrics that came in contact with it.  Sewing machine oil is clear as glass and will not stain as bad as automotive oils.

For many years, I changed the oil in my cars and collected the 10W30 drippings from the oil bottles and used that to oil my machines.  I have experimented with just about every lubricant available, including baby oil, mineral oil, Tri-Flow, CRC, and others.  I have found nothing that performs better than plain old sewing machine oil from JoAnn Fabrics.

Ed

sofadoc

For over 20 years, I used compressor oil from Lowe's, or home Depot (never had any problems). It was after I joined this forum that I heeded the advice to use a clear sewing machine oil.
I still remember the little can of "3in1" oil next to my grandmother's old Singer.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Half-Fast

Chris, Gregg, Ed, and 'Doc.....

Thanks for your advise!  I've got a Super-Wally within 3 blocks of my house, and I think there is actually a JoAnn Fabrics in this little town.  I want to make sure I got this machine started out on the right (walking)foot....  :D

Jeff

Mojo

I have found nothing as slick as Tri-Flow. It has been used in racing for years. I tried it on my old machine and it was so slick it changed the clearances and I ended up with hook problems after things started moving around. I went back to machine oil, reset the timing and clearances and never had another problem.

I use Tri-Flow on all of my handguns and long guns along with anything else that needs lubing or protection. I prefer it to WD-40. Great stuff but super expensive and hard to find. I had to order my last can off E-Slay ( E-Bay ).

Jeff, I believe the sewing machine oil comes in a small bottle and is found on the rack with other sewing supplies at Wally's.

Chris

gene

Has anyone tried mayonnaise?

My real question is: How, or why, would you even consider using anything but sewing machine oil? I'm asking because I had never even thought to use something else.

On a somewhat related thread: I was told by folks that work at Valvoline that Federal law dictates what can be put in 2 stroke motor oil. The only difference is the color additive. When husquavarna or Sears or whoever tells you to use only their oil in their products, well, they are being a bit less than honest.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: gene on October 25, 2010, 04:10:20 pm
How, or why, would you even consider using anything but sewing machine oil? I'm asking because I had never even thought to use something else.
Gene

Great point.  I don't have the answer for that. 

The idea behind a stainless sewing oil is that it will both lubricate you equipment, and won't ruin your sewn goods.  I can pull a few dozen machine heads out of a place and have sewing machine oil and residue all every my clothes.  I'll look a mess, but after throwing everything into the wash, it comes out brand new.  Try that with 10W30 or 3 and 1, or Triflow, all great lubricants, BTW. 

SHHR

Gene, I prefer Miracle Whip! :P
Kyle

sofadoc

My real question is: How, or why, would you even consider using anything but sewing machine oil? I'm asking because I had never even thought to use something else.

MY only excuse is: When you grow up in a family business, you get used to doing things the way the family has always done it. Over the years, I have come to realize that a lot of things they did were DUMB. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

lamx

QuoteMy real question is: How, or why, would you even consider using anything but sewing machine oil?

Several reasons:

- Ignorance. Until forums like this popped up, we had no way of knowing why we should use sewing machine oil over some other lubricant.  Sewing machine oil seemed like a marketing ploy by Singer and other manufacturers to sell $5 per gallon oil at $5 per pint.
- Convenience. When your machine needs to be oiled and you can't find that bottle of sewing machine oil, any lubricant will do.  After all, oil is oil - right?
- Efficiency. Why buy and stock a different oil for every purpose and have a half dozen bottles and cans lying around?  3-in-1 oil is good for everything, isn't it?
- Misinformation. That's what Mom used on her machine so that's what I'm going to use on mine.

QuoteHas anyone tried mayonnaise?

No, but I have heard of folks using olive oil.  Add some eggs and vinegar and you have mayonnaise.

Ed

hdflame

Quote from: SHHR on October 26, 2010, 04:38:35 am

Gene, I prefer Miracle Whip! :P
Kyle

Man, are you crazy??!!

Around here, there's no mayo but DUKES!  Miracle Whip ain't even mayo, it salad dressing! ;D

I read on another forum (Singer) that some people used mineral oil.  It is also clear and stain-less.  However, it is a different weight than sewing machine oil.  It is thicker.  I don't have any sewing store in my town now.  The last store that had any supplies at all (Singer store, and very EXPENSIVE!) closed about a year ago. :'(

I'll be needing oil soon and plan on just buying a gallon.  That should last me a while!
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)