Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 09:03:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

marking pleats on white vinyl

Started by SoInTrouble, October 16, 2010, 09:17:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SoInTrouble

I have white vinyl and I am marking lines for the the pleats.  I have tried using yellow chalk, but had trouble getting it off when I was done.  I went to the fabric store and got a blue "water erasable fabric marking pen"  I can easily wipe off the lines after I am done, but it doesn't write well on the vinyl, and I have to go over it multiple times before I can get a line that I will be able to see when I am sewing.

Any Ideas on how to mark the Pleat lines on white vinyl?

Thanks

stitcher_guy

I do it one of three ways depending on the material and how much of a hurry I'm in.

1) mark the backside on the foam and roll a color matched bobbin. Then turn over the panel and sew with the backside up. If the tension is right, it will look like top sewn.

2) I use a pencil to get a thin light line, and sew right over the line. It completely disappears down in the valley and I've never had a problem with it showing.

3) I will use a china marker (grease pencil) and mark NEXT TO where I want to sew. Then sew along the line, and it will wipe off without darkening the white threat. You can do the same thing with masking tape. Lay it down as a guide and sew next to it. Then you won't have tape residue stuck down in the threading.

SoInTrouble

Thanks for the ideas.  My first try was with yellow chalk, which I couldn't remove from the white vinyl, I then tried sharpening the chalk and making a fine line.  I had trouble seeing the line while sewing and couldn't keep the lines straight.

I will try the ideas you listed.

Lynn

I do the same as Stitcher - #1 sew on the back side. If your tension is correct you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the top and the bottom.

Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

fragged8

hiya

this thread got me thinking, and after a google session I have found
' Air Erasable pens'

disappearing ink like spies use  :P several fabric suppliers carry them
no washing no water it says the ink just vanishes ..

I've ordered a handful so i'll let you know how i get on.

Rich