Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 07:33:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Unsewing (ripping) a double fell seam (French Seam)

Started by baileyuph, October 16, 2010, 05:52:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

On occasion it is desireable to separate such seam, particularly in auto original seat repairs.  It actually involves ripping three seams and does take time which is the thrust of post.

Anyone found a neat way to separate these described seams?  I use blades and seam rippers in an inefficient manner, time is money.  Any ideas or good experience to share with this?

Doyle

SHHR

The only way I know Is plenty of time, a sharp razor blade, and a great understanding of four letter words!!
Kyle

Darren Henry

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BCKC

Hi ya Doyle,

You know......if your talking leather easy fix for older seats.....lay your razor flat as you can get it on the table and with a even stroke down the top fell seam you slice like  a hot knife through butter.

Then through your center main seam and there you have it. I then will cut off the first center seam leather and use fell seam for new center seam and i get to sew a whole new fell seam!

Most older leather seats because it streches with time can take the adjustment with nobody the wiser. Good clean look. Fabric bites a big one no matter how you do it :D Vinyl is well...like leather in about the same way but you better be dang good at slicing and dicing the stuff....hehe

Good luck and let me know if there is something better!!! Im always looking for the newest and easiest way with great quality to boot!

Karen

Um...I just reread this post and I can hardly make no nothin out of it...lol....hope it helps...
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them........http://www.candcupholsterydesigns.com

baileyuph

Karen I read you loud and clear:  You made three clear points.

1.  Keep a sharp razon at a low angle

2.  Where there is enough tail, just cut off some and move the seam over a bit, avoids the futility of hitting the holes when seaming back together.

3.  Then, there is the Karen factor.   ;)

LOL,

Regarding this subject, you will never see a grown guy get so happy when encountering a chain fell seam, just pull and go.  ;D

Thanks all,

Doyle

Darren Henry

Just a reminder of the obvious, the sharper the blade the better you can feel whether you're cutting thread or about to have a problem.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

stitcher_guy

I do it every day, and the easiest way I've found is a NEW seam ripper. It has to have the little red ball on the short side. If it does, I have great luck sliding down under the selvage, slicing out that seam, and then just yanking it apart. But, heaven help the trimmer who uses one without the little ball (they fall off quick).

Otherwise, I use a bit of brute strength for double fells and frensh. I do a normal rip up about an inch or two. Then I position the main panel over the edge of my cutting table and lean up against it. Grab the attached panel and pull it out. Just that tugging will open up 4 or 5 lines of seam. If I'm feeling lucky, I'll tap with a razor blade and slice right through. Otherwise, I'll use my seam ripper.