Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 04:31:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How do you find, get and keep your customers?

Started by Ihavenoname, October 06, 2010, 10:03:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihavenoname

Took some time to take an online business marketing class.

Part of the process was defining how you find, get, and keep customers coming back.

I've noticed that I can find and get customers, some times to many, but keeping them in the buying cycle is very hard. Any one have any ideas or would like to offer some advice on how they or one can keep customers buying once their sofa, or boat or car is done?

Thank you

sofadoc

I've never thought that those marketing strategies worked in the upholstery biz.
Either the customer has something that needs re-covering......or they don't.
I've had customers before that I thought I'd lost, only to have them re-surface many years later.
I think you should focus more on the "Word of mouth" end of it. Try to get them to tell their friends.
Upholstery is not an "impulse buy". People plan for it, and save their money fot it.
Most people only keep a car for 100K miles or so. At best, you're only going to get one job out of that. Pretty much the same with a boat. Furniture is where you have the best chance in enticing a customer to increase their "buying cycle".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

me i have to wait till a customer buys a new boat or has an accident with his existing. or wait till it wears out.ive been in my new area here 6 years now and ive started to have repete customers. word of mouth tell there friends is the best plan id say to keep busy.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Trade / industry shows, store front, web presence, message boards, word of mouth, and just doing a good job for people, and hope they come back!

Can-Vas

One thing I've noted is to be pleasant on the phone (no matter how crappy a day you're having!)  be honest - even if you can't get to a job for a while, just say so...  etc..
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Can_Vas on October 07, 2010, 09:03:42 am
One thing I've noted is to be pleasant on the phone (no matter how crappy a day you're having!)  be honest - even if you can't get to a job for a while, just say so...  etc..

VERY good point, easier said than done.

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on October 08, 2010, 04:47:07 am
Quote from: Can_Vas on October 07, 2010, 09:03:42 am

VERY good point, easier said than done.

I always forward my calls to my cell phone. Recently, a customer called while I was in the middle of HEAVY traffic, and a BLINDING rainstorm. She had a HUGE job that she wanted to talk about at great length. I was so distracted by the traffic and rain, that I was only responding by saying things like "uh-huh" and "OK".
She suddenly stopped, and said that she would rather find someone who was more interested in listening to her, and hung up.
I tried to call her back later, and explain, but she would have none of it.

bobbin

How discouraging, Sofa..  Perhaps you could call her after she's had a chance to settle down and explain the circumstances surrounding her initial call and your lackluster response.  ;)  (no more blabbing on the cell phone behind the wheel, OK?). 

In my small, niche business I've never really promoted myself... just word of mouth.  And it's worked nicely, for a "part time gig".  I think a pleasant demeanor on the telephone is very important, so is the timely return of messages left on the machine (I have been guilty on that count in the past). 

Good work and timely completion of it speaks volumes, too.  And every one of us has had the job that's "fallen through the cracks" and has haunted us.  Honesty in assessing a project is important, too.  If you know you can't do the work in the time frame specified, then say so up front; ditto if someone is "tire kicking" and you know you can't beat the estimate they received from someone else. 

I have had customers decline my service based on price, only to have them call me a few weeks later in hopes that I could "rescue" a botched job.  If I'm able to help them I will and frequently they become loyal customers.  Sometimes you can get off on the wrong foot with someone and still salvage the situation with honesty, skill, and a sense of humor. 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on October 09, 2010, 02:58:41 am
;)  (no more blabbing on the cell phone behind the wheel, OK?).   

When a customer calls me on my cell phone while I'm driving, I tell them that I will return their call as soon as I can pull over somewhere.
Most of them pay no attention to what I just said, and go right in to telling me about their furniture in long, drawn-out, "mind-numbing" detail. 
Most people today have no reservations whatsoever about gabbing endlessly while behind the wheel. So they really don't even understand why I would want to pull over before talking to them.
I think I would rather ride with someone who's had a couple of beers than someone who's on a cell phone.
But, this topic was about keeping customers, and like a cell phone driver, I've veered way off the road!!

bobbin

I understand completely, Sofa.. 

And I bet you can win that job with a sincere telephone conversation.  Much as people can blow me away with outright stupidity, so can they win me back with their willingness to forgive and extend a second chance.  I think when a jaundiced view of customers takes over completely it's time to close up shop. 

Dial her up! (uh, from the safety of your office chair).   ::)

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on October 09, 2010, 11:28:42 am
And I bet you can win that job with a sincere telephone conversation.
Dial her up! (uh, from the safety of your office chair).   ::)

This topic is about getting and keeping customers, so I think this experience is relevant.
I did call and apologize. She accepted, but was no longer interested in discussing business. I got the impression that I could've won her back..... if I was willing to grovel (which I wasn't).
I think she was waiting for me to make some serious concessions regarding pricing in order to get another chance with her (as well as jumping through other various hoops).
I hit it off quite well with over 90% of my customers. But my own ego probably prevents me from winning the "High maintainance" ones over.
Getting back to finding customers, I've found that one of the most effective ways for me over the years, is doing little "freebie" jobs, such as sewing a seam , or replacing a button at no charge. They remember that later on down the road, and tell others.

stitcher_guy

The little podunct jobs don'tn worry me about "keeping" them coming back. People with little things to fix usually wander in again and again because they know I'll take the time to do it (I get quite a few motorcycle vests to put on a patch or two. I don't mind. That buys lunch).

Larger jobs, like a full interior, when I'm first discussing it with a customer, I always make sure they understand that yes, they get upholstery work done, but they also are getting an upholsterer in the deal (my goal is for everyone at car shows to say "my upholsterer says we need to do this." or "My upholsterer suggested we make this change.") WHen doing that, they are entering into a relationship with our shop, rather than just treating it like Wal-Mart.

To further foster this ongoing relationship, I always try to get to the larger local s hows in the area. Any given show is good for 10-15 of my past customers. I'll say hi, and check out their car. It raises some eyebrows from entrants near the car to see me walk up and just open the door and start poking around. The car owner doesn't mind, there's no action taken to stop me. That gets attention. Then I talk to the owner a bit, maybe point out a loose seam or something that is showing a bit of age and make sure to tell them to get it in to me after the season and let's get it fixed. That sparks conversations among the neighbors, and beflore l ong, I'm looking at their cars and making suggestions and selling the shop. The past customer is recommending me and showcasing my work and that has opened up a whole new market.

ThrowMeAPillow

the real secret then is not so much REPEAT business as it is REFERRALS. (since the buying cycle is so long, like 10 years)

the goal is to be SOOooo BUSY that you can raise prices through the roof and STILL keep busy.  THAT's where our focus needs to be.  My AUTO mechanic charges $75.00 per hour. 

anybody out there POST a SHOP RATE of $75.00 an hour?!

(I don't) but I DO have JUST as much business as BEFORE I raised my prices!