Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 07:49:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New OEM seat covers for a new car ??

Started by barrys, October 04, 2010, 08:52:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

barrys

OK, let's take anal-retentive to a whole new level...
I got a Honda CRV a year ago with fabric seats.  Let's just say that Honda fabric is not the most durable I've seen in a car.  The edges are starting to wear already.  I'm thinking -- after all of the living hell I went through to get matching fabric for my 15 year old truck -- that I might just want to pony up for the replacement seat cover now while people have it in stock and while the color still might match.

Do you guys think that's crazy?  Is there any place to get these besides a dealer? 

There's an online dealer vendor who actually discounts.  But, it's still rich at something like 350+ for the seat bottom and back.

Perhaps an alternative is those sheepskin covers.  My upholsterer actually has those in his car and he can make or buy anything.  The car's not that comfy, so maybe those might actually help there too.    I just think my wife (and it's her car) will just look and say "Ugly!" and that will be the end of that short discussion.

I've seen some fabric "skins" advertized.  But, at least the ones I found look cheap and I don't like the fit.  They're not free either -- 200-300.  And, no I do not want leather.  In the CA sun, leather can be brutal...

baileyuph

QuoteDo you guys think that's crazy?  Is there any place to get these besides a dealer? 

Probably not to each account.  You could make them yourself out of a non original to save money.  That does take time and explains why they cost what they do.

Getting original fabrics is not always possible.  Plus, there can be incredible detail duplicating originality.

All said, may make the discounted dealer items easier to accept?

Good luck,
Doyle

stitcher_guy

OEM fabrics seem to have a shelf life of just a few years anymore. With all the varying patterns, it's easy to understand, but still VERY frustrating.

I'd go ahead and order a yard of so of the material (retail is probably about $80 for that, I would imagine). Keep it in a nice dry place. That will let you replace the side bolster on the driver seat which is the most abused section. Plus, a stray panel here and there that might get damaged.

But, honestly, I am a testement to the quality of Honda products. We have a 2004 Odyssey with 108,000, and the seats are LIKE BRAND NEW. They are cloth, I expected them to shred almost immediately, and they don't even have much discoloration or stains. And we have three little kids, all were in car seats until this year, toys, snacks, gunk, all of it, and they still look good. The only damage is a rear side panel that my youngest decided to yank off.

One day, i've considered swapping to leather from katzkin. But now, the mileage is so high, I doubt that will ever happen.

barrys

Thanks stitcher.  Long time...
Maybe it's just looking a little worn but not wearing out.  I got out of a really nice Passat which was sucking me dry in terms of money, time, and angst.  So, this Honda -- my first -- is such a life relaxer.  The service manager called that model "bulletproof" which is what I'm looking for.  I change the oil way too much and I hope it lasts a long time. 
If I had to consider replacing the whole seat cover, just buying them would be a huge time saver, let alone the materials cost -- thinking about all the work in making one like DB said.
At 80/yd plus foam and thread, I'd be getting close to 250 in materials alone.

I wonder if I can even get the OEM fabric for that car since it's so new.  I'll ask my upholsterer.
If you have any sources, please go ahead and recommend...

stitcher_guy

i'm suprised Miami Mike hasn't jumped in already. For my OEM materials, I go through Miami Corp. I get my Detroit book from them. They get it from Detroit fabrics. They have TONS in stock, and usually up to the second materials are available.