Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 06:40:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boring old winch covers...

Started by Grebo, October 04, 2010, 07:50:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

I have 2 sheet winch covers to do, any one done some that look real smart ?
It's a brand new boat & the guys given me shed loads of work on it, so it would be nice to have something  'cool' ..  ;D

They are Harken#60's.

bobbin

I haven't made one in pretty long time, Grebo.  But here's how I do it:

-measure the diameter of the winch in question, add your preferrred seam allowance and cut out a circle of fabric for the top of the cover.
-measure the height of the winch, add seam allowance and finished hem allowance, and whatever "ease" you want; cut the piece long enough to attach to the top's circumference and be stitched closed. 
-cut another piece the same lenth as the side, but not as long.   I use lightweight stamoid for this.  Instead of a hem make a single fold casing to accomodate light duty bungee cord.  You want the finished length of the casing to fall roughly at the "waist"of the winch's stem. 
-join the side and the inner stamoid skirt to the top of the cover, adj. tension on the bungee so it must be stretched to fit over the top of the winch, close casing.  Topstitch if you like. 

These are neat, tidy, and won't blow off in the wind when the boat is moored.  They take some practice, but they look great and they work slick. 

Skippy

I, also, like to add a piece of vinyl to the inside of the top.  It acts as a stiffener and helps the top stay flat and looks nicer.
Robert

Can-Vas

Quote from: Skippy on October 05, 2010, 08:26:25 am
I, also, like to add a piece of vinyl to the inside of the top.  It acts as a stiffener and helps the top stay flat and looks nicer.
Robert

me too...      8)
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Grebo

Me neither, haven't done any for a couple of years now.

I will try that bobbin, thanks  :-*

fragged8

hiya

could be a job for your embroidery machine ?
monogramed winch covers ? or nice
little waves around the bottom  :o

Grebo

Quote from: fragged8 on October 05, 2010, 09:11:42 am
hiya

could be a job for your embroidery machine ?
monogramed winch covers ? or nice
little waves around the bottom  :o

;D  There's an idea  :P