Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 07:07:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Solar celled Sunbrella or a bimini that uses the sun it blocks

Started by Mike8560, September 29, 2010, 07:26:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

One of those jobs would scare me. Imagine messing up one of those solar panels. Those things cost major dollars. Yikes.

I am sure you will sooner or later get asked. :)

Chris

Grebo

I have sewn tags onto sprayhoods / dodgers for panels to be tied to.. Not quite the same  ;D

fragged8

hi

i have a way to sew LED lights into canvas that are almost invisible until you turn them on,
i've been experimenting with it for a while now but can't find a suitable way of making the
connection to the boat supply.

Rich

Peppy

I'd be keen to try it. I bet it leaks though. They can't have thought of everything.

It can't be any worse than trying to build a hangie-dooie off the back of a sailboat with tube and fittings to mount an array on. I've done that a couple of times. It gets to be a camperback's worth of fittings pretty quick. And dumb looking.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

Rich I'd like to see thoose LEDs. Have  you seen theese bimiini tops with a anchor light on the frame. The run the wiring inside the tubes then at the bottom exit the tubing and plug into the boat.

JuneC

Quote from: Mike8560 on September 30, 2010, 06:03:07 pm
Rich I'd like to see thoose LEDs.

Me too.  Sounds very kool.  I'm going to be building a bimini for my own boat very shortly.  Any suggestions?  I'd love to include something "hi tech" like LEDs in the design.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Bob T

If I were keen to expand my business, I'd develop "installing solar cells"  as a specialty.  The demand is going to be high and buyers will be looking for experienced installers and the pay should be good.  Imagine being the only shop around with actual experience installing those panels on Sunbrella.

My reality is, I'm mostly retired and have more business than I want or need so I won't be one to pursue it.  Truth be known, usually, I dread seeing another job walk thru the door.  There goes the time off I was going to use for my own projects.  Then, I see the new work as a form of respect for the work I do, so I give it my best. 

Mojo

Quote from: Bob T on September 30, 2010, 09:53:53 pm

My reality is, I'm mostly retired and have more business than I want or need so I won't be one to pursue it.  Truth be known, usually, I dread seeing another job walk thru the door.  There goes the time off I was going to use for my own projects.  Then, I see the new work as a form of respect for the work I do, so I give it my best. 

Bob, I agree with you 100 %. I often times wonder why I even started this business during my retirement in the first place. It wasn't for the money but rather for something to do. My wife for some reason or another had a major problem with me becoming a Gigolo. :) But I admit, I love sitting down at the machine and sewing. All my worries in life leave me and I find it very relaxing.

I am just very careful of the jobs I take on. I will sew solar screens all day long as they are a quick buck and easy to do. But when customers start requesting full boat or auto interiors I send them elsewhere. It is just something I do not want to get into nor have any desire to do.

My project list is so long that if I never die till it is all completed, I reckon I will live to be 110 years old. :)

I should be laying on a beach in Aruba with a young and pretty island girl serving me Diet Cokes all day. Instead I am tied to an oily sewing machine.

Isn't retirement great ?   8)

Chris

Miami Mike

Solar > I have been looking at these for several years. I would love to see Miami offer these. I have several Sail boaters that use these now, But the just roll them out, charge the batteries and move on. Yes it is some $$$$ but they are good for 15 to 20 years.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

fragged8

i have some of the LED's on my boat so next time i'm down there
I'll pick them up and mock up a panel with them in.

it's very easy to do an you hardly have to change the way
you make the canvas.

Rich

fragged8

hi

sorry Mike i've not yet mocked up the Led in the fabric thing yet
but check this out

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8549

they even sell washable electronics for sewing into clothes

there conductive fabric too :-)

Rich

JuneC

Thanks for that link, Rich.  Last year when I made that backlit liquor cabinet for the 32' Sundancer I used a strip from these guys...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/led_prods.htm&gclid=CNbIus-4xKQCFcbD7QodHzHJDg

I'd like to see how you go about putting individual LED's into the canvas though...  The thread is a pretty kool idea.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields