Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 11:50:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My last job

Started by Mike8560, September 24, 2010, 08:29:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

upholstered some cushions for this angler and installed a Bimini
then I broke down sewing tables. Today I set the tables up at my home shop I'm getting ready
I've decided to cut costs when I relozed what I was paying to have a storefront.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo4-17.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo2-26.jpg

fragged8

hiya

very nice work there Mike, give it some time and you will be as good as me   :D :D :D

overheads are a killer aren't they, was it not worth setting up a shop if you were paying for it ? could have been another income.

Or was there not enough room .

Rich

bobbin

Yes, very neat indeed, Mike. 

Darren Henry

Top shelf as always Bud  ;).

How much space do you have at home? Factor in the daily commute, and even if you need to make an addition your $ ahead. Just watch that people don't figure that they can just drop by your house at 9 PM 'cause your right there anyway.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

Nice work, Mike!  Looks really clean and fresh.  I love the look of new, all-white vinyl. 

As for the home shop, the only drawback I've found is that for small jobs, I'd have to go to the boat's location to quote/deliver the work.  This is required for all big jobs anyway - unless you live on a 15' deep canal with 100' dock.  But, even reasonable rent of say $1000 a month plus utilities can easily be $12,000 a year out of pocket.  Plus the commute time wasted. 

I've got a shop now but only because my husband needs it for his refit business.  I bought another machine to keep at home because I hate driving there every day.  So, I only go there when I get a big canvas job - or like the current Contender coaming bolster job where the upholstered pieces are, no lie, 23' long in one continuous piece. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

I have always had a shop at home, Mike.  I vastly prefer the commute across the driveway to the 20-30 minutes (+wear/tear and fuel) going to "work" requires.  In the past couple of years I've really ratchetted up the quality of my "home" shop... I am at an age where I want to simplify work and spend more time at home... working there "full time" seems to be a logical solution, with the added benefit of eliminating wasted time "commuting". 

Trouble is, after several years caring for an infirm, ageing parent a lot of the business I'd established had to be "shelved"; with a perfectly predictable loss of customers.  "Reinventing" my dormant business is a lot harder than I'd thought it would be. 

How's that awning for your patio coming along? 

Mike8560

Quote from: fragged8 on September 25, 2010, 01:03:04 am
overheads are a killer aren't they, was it not worth setting up a shop if you were paying for it ? could have been another income.

Or was there not enough room .

Rich

Didnt follow you on the other income RIch. there was plenty of room but its surprising how much crap you hoard when you got to move. just latly its like you make some money and then the rent light water and sewer ( water bill was unreal even though I didnt use much) extra phone line and internet at the shop. acutally ill have less room of course but i was able to break my  16 foot tables down into two sections and set them up no trouble at  my home ok. of course ive still got my mobile shop too. I hear you June on the small jobs. today I did two resew jobs and delevered them to my customers. its not too bad there moslty all in the same neighborhood. I thnk it will be good being my own landloard.

QuoteI am at an age where I want to simplify work and spend more time at home... working there "full time" seems to be a logical solution, ..............

How's that awning for your patio coming along?  

I hear you there Bobbin. on the awning its on hold seems you need a permit for a awning so I figured I might as well build a solid roof if I have to go through all that. so I find out it turns out either way I need to have a engineer sign off on any plans I present to the county  ??? ??? the red tape makes it easier to just hire a contractor.

Mojo

Geeesshhh Mike, I didn't know this was going to really happen. :) I thought you were just toying with the idea. You make decisions and move quick my friend. :)

I am sorry I am on the road. If I was still in Florida you could be assured my bus would be at the local campground and I would be there helping you move.

I find a home shop my only alternative. I cannot make enough to rent a building. I have plans down the road to build a huge barn for my shop and workshop. If that takes place then I will probably move my upholstery shop out back and turn the upholstery shop into a family room. :)

There is nothing like working at home but I have found you have to be very disciplined. You have to make sure you stick to your schedule and during working hours.........work. :)

Best of luck my friend. I plan on calling you when I get back to Florida to catch up on everything.

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteThere is nothing like working at home but I have found you have to be very disciplined. You have to make sure you stick to your schedule and during working hours.........work. Smiley

What I saw my dad (electrician in a small town) have do deal with was people thinking that 7:30 AM and 9:30m PM were appropriate business hours "'cause he lives right there".  I got "well he's probably at the shop at 9:30 this time of year" "we can score some leftovers and a few beer while he does this 1-2 hour job" . No wonder the old lady left me. ::)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

Prety
much all set
up now just have to sort thing out with time with what goes were as I work. Wichita I've already started. Actually.  Darren I don't think thatbwil be a problem as most everybody here wants you to coddle
them and come to there
home.  Yes a few did dro off small repairs but that money did t pay the rent the calls did
and juncore t me if I'm wrong but I didn't think younwer married did this happen reciently Convrats!  I must have missed the news.  And chris I move fast. When I sold my house it took three weeks all the while I. Was watching the ones I could purchase.  I closed on my old one and closed on my new house te next day.

JuneC

Yep, tied the knot just over a year ago.  Thanks!  I've never had issues with customers just "dropping by".  I don't publicize my address anywhere since my house isn't zoned for "light industrial" or anything other than residential use.  Before I had the shop, for a full 5+ years, I would either meet customers at their home or their boat, wherever that was.  Matter of fact, I met my husband in the parking lot of one of the local grocery store because when he was just a customer I didn't want him coming to my home to pay for his mooring cover. 

Anyway, while working at home requires some discipline, I used to just love sitting in my living room on the floor in front of the TV (usually HGTV or DIY) pulling staples and thinking that it beat the heck out of playing computer jockey for an unthankful corporate giant.  What productivity you lose by being at home with immediate access to the fridge/microwave/computer/tv/etc., you gain in being able to work at night after dinner without getting out of your jammies and going straight to bed without the drive, regardless of how many red wines you've had  :P  Working at home rocks!  Just wish I lived in an area where I could legally build a barn out back and run the business from there...  Oh well, that's the cost of sunshine and warm weather.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Quote from: JuneC on September 26, 2010, 05:42:14 pm
What productivity you lose by being at home with immediate access to the fridge/microwave/computer/tv/etc., you gain in being able to work at night after dinner without getting out of your jammies and going straight to bed without the drive

June

Hence my nights at the machine in my boxers at night. :)

I do alot of night sewing sometimes.

Chris

fragged8

ohhh the mental image Mojo   :o  i didn't need that i've just eaten  heheheh

Darren Henry

Quoteand juncore t me if I'm wrong but I didn't think younwer married did this happen reciently Convrats!

Dude; you've got to get smaller fingers or bigger buttons on your phone  ;D.

I was living with my girlfriend/co-owner of the house from '95 till April 09. Spring of 07 and again in 08 she got antsy about ice out and pouted off to the Winnipeg to be with family because of the hours I was putting in at the shop. Worked for me. Buddy and I only had to come home every 2-3 nights for a shower and to re-supply. That being 2-3 weeks on the road with Bathfitter though capped it. I came home from another 5 day, 7? hour week in early April 09  and there she was---gawn! We still see each other once in a while. She actually just spend one week of her vacation working on the house/yard for fall so I stopped and made her supper on the way back to camp last night.

Peppy

Quote from: Darren Henry on September 27, 2010, 05:16:52 pm
Dude; you've got to get smaller fingers or bigger buttons on your phone  ;D.

You've just got to turn on your 'intuitive reading' Darren!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠