Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 11:23:06 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

trick question!

Started by skegfish, September 22, 2010, 07:04:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skegfish

Got to be a trick! Just repaired the base and seat of an expensive executive swivel chair. The back has two buttons that have detached from their tufted anchors. Is there a way to retention the buttons without taking off about 100 brass tacks to expose the back.
Thought of a curved needle with some elastic cord, tie them together thru the backing. But don't think there will be enough tention to hold them tight.
Any trick here?

Jeff in PA

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

If you don't want to buy a tufting needle and clips and if the chair is fabric covered yo u can use a double pointed needle. Send it thru the front and thru the outside back but not all the way when the other end passes thru the IB backing move the needle slightly so the front point goes thru the backing in a new hole. Push thru the same hole in the IB and you have a connection. Of course this won't work on leather or vinyl or fabric if you can see the hole.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Treat answer:

I love my tufting needle.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

GROAN You're killin' me Gene  ;D

The only problem with a tufting needle is that you need a layer of burlap,cambric, etc behind the foam to hold the pins and enough room to get them there with out  without going through the outside back.

How bad would it look if you added corresponding buttons on the outside back and just tied them off button to button? Some pieces it looks like a designed play; some it just looks dorky.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!