Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:26:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I want to buy a better sewing machine...1 year from now

Started by sawdustar, September 09, 2010, 08:49:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdustar

I am trying to use a Yamata FY5318 walking foot sewing machine. It's a nice machine, but the LOML's grip as well as mine is how difficult it is to get the bobbin in and out of the machine.

So....I figure that I'll have to take the machine apart, grind off some of the metal arm that is mostly in the way of the bobbin so we can get the bobbin in and out of the machine without cussing and fussing for an hour.....then later on, buy a better machine.

If you were looking for a used machine, what would it be? Remember, the sky is NOT the limit on price. I'm looking to keep it under $1500.
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

Mojo

I just completed this exercise in February.

My suggestion is to look hard at the Consew 206 rb 5 or the Chandler 406RB. Both are basically the same machine and are work horses. They will sew anything you put under them.

The other great deal with these is the parts are plentiful and cheap.

I did a ton of research, talked to a lot of stitchers as well as a few dealers and decided on my Chandler. Probably the biggest thing that helped me with my choice was Bob Kovar ( Toledo Machine on this forum ). Bob spent a great deal of time on the phone with me helping me understand the differences between each machine I was looking at. It took me a week and several phone calls of bugging Bob and I finally decided on the Chandler. I have never been sorry as this machine has been everything he said it would be.

The bobbin is easily accessible and I myself have no problems reaching under and grabbing it as well as loading it back into the machine.

What ever you select I strongly urge you to spend a few extra dollars and get the servo motor. You will love it and it will make sewing much easier for you.

When you get closer to buying I highly recommend that you contact Bob and talk to him about machines. He is very laid back, easy going and pleasant to talk with.

Greg is also a dealer on here ( Keystone ) and has a large inventory. He has sold several Highleads to guys on here and they all like them.

I caution you to stay clear of the dealers on E-Bay. You will never get the same level of service that you would from Bob & Bobby or Greg. ( Been there and done the e-bay sewing machine gig ). :)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out Dennis ( besides writing you a check. :)

Chris

wind_rose_2

Before you start grinding try using a magnet to extract the bobbin when it is empty.
Dave

bobbin

I have always preferred a horizontal axis bobbin (loads from below), a holdover from my years in the ragbiz.  I absolutely love my Juki 1541N-7.  My machine has all the automatic stuff and was more than $1500, but the basic model is available in your price range.  If you prefer a machine with a vertical axis bobbin (loads from the top) you can't go wrong with the 1508.  I use one daily at my employer's shop and it's a great machine. 

I also regularly use a Consew 255RB and like that one, too.  But the Jukis allow a greater stitch length and it's easier to adjust the length... a dial, none of the button, eccentric crap!

sawdustar

Quote from: wind_rose_2 on September 09, 2010, 11:18:43 am
Before you start grinding try using a magnet to extract the bobbin when it is empty.
Dave

Dave,

I bought the machine used, well, it was bought new and used for 1 week and then it sat for a year, then I came along and bought it. It's almost as if the bobbin casing is a tad too big for the space.
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

sawdustar

OK....here's a pic or 2.....

Here's my machine:

Then here's a shot at the bobbin side:

And here's a closer shot at the bobbin spot:

Notice the metal arm that is ever so slightly blocking the bobbin from coming straight out of the socket where the bobbin sits. It's as difficult to get OUT as it is to get IN.

I'm baffled by this ordeal as to why it's so difficult to put in and take out a bobbin..!!!!  ???
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

sofadoc

If you've got $1500 to spend, you should have no problem getting all the machine you need. The Chandlers and Highleads come in around a grand. The Juki 1541 is around $1500. The Consews are somewhere in between.
Used machines are a crapshoot, unless you buy a rebuilt one from a reputable dealer, such as Bob or Gregg. But rebuilt ones aren't that much less than a new one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Sawdustar,  my machines' bobbins all load the way your Yamato does.  It does feel "fiddly" and a bit sticky when you first begin using the machine.  But you will develop a "feel" for it.  You learn to put the bobbin in rotated a bit to the left and then you turn it clockwise until it clicks into place.  You can feel it and you can hear the click. 

If you find it too much of pain, then I suggest you look at vertical axis machines.  They load from the top; the Juki 1508 has a large bobbin that easily drops in from the top.  Wonderful machine!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

I really can't comment too far, as a year from now is a long time away, and things are subject to change.  That said, $1,500 will get about as far as you need, these days. 

Jim101

Sawdustar,

I like the Pfaff machines.  We have four of them, a  Pfaff 130, Pfaff 138, Pfaff 545 and a Pfaff 1245.  I understand they are expensive to repair when they break but I haven't had one break yet and the Pfaff 130 has been around since the 1950's. I wouldn't be surprised if it probably sewed a few poodle skirts as well as sails.

I really like the Pfaff 1245.  The machine is a beast and it keeps on going without giving us any trouble no matter what type of material we throw at it.  $1500.00 should get you one in the current market.  Maybe even less.

Our other machines are Singers.  A 31-15, a 111W153, a 112W145 double needle and a 211G151.  I'm really partial to the 111Wxxx series of Singers.  They came into being around the 1940's, some the 50's, and they sew better now than they did when they were new.  No, they don't have a reverse, but once you get past that little obstacle you'll find they are really decent machines.

I have nothing against Juki.  They're fine machines, as are many others.  The older Consew's are good but I've read the newer ones are made in China and some of the gears are plastic.  Somebody please tell me that's not true!

Avoid all Ebay machines unless you can go tests drive it first, and even then take a sewing machine expert with you!  Good deals can be found on Craigslist near where ever you live but, again, take the sewing machine expert with you.

Good luck in your search... Even if a year from now.

Jim

Rich

Just a note to those who are using Juki machines. I really like that stitch length dial over the old, "hold down a button and turn the handwheel" setup, but I was having a hard time  (especially in the winter, when my fingers are dry) turning that small, hard plastic dial. I finally found that the large (1-1/2") white rubber leg tips sold in Home Depot (sold two to a pkg. so you have a spare if you ever need it :)) fits right over the dial and by marking the most common stich lengths (I have S, M and L on mine) with a sharpie marker, it's a breeze to quickly dial in the stitch length you want.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sawdustar

Quote from: bobbin on September 09, 2010, 04:10:13 pm
Sawdustar,  my machines' bobbins all load the way your Yamato does.  It does feel "fiddly" and a bit sticky when you first begin using the machine.  But you will develop a "feel" for it.  You learn to put the bobbin in rotated a bit to the left and then you turn it clockwise until it clicks into place.  You can feel it and you can hear the click. 

If you find it too much of pain, then I suggest you look at vertical axis machines.  They load from the top; the Juki 1508 has a large bobbin that easily drops in from the top.  Wonderful machine!

Bobbin.....

I don't mean it's "fiddly" to get it in and out.....I mean it's almost impossible. We have two other sewing machines here in the house...not industrial, and they are bottom loaders and we have no issue with those.

I am sure that if I ground away about 1/16" of steel at the lower elbow that is directly in front of the bobbin that it would go in AND out without a single issue. But, in your defense, I'll keep working with it and see if it gets any better.
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

206RB

Just in case, Dennis, are you rotating the machine to line up the marks on the upper pulley?
Mike

sawdustar

Quote from: 206RB on September 10, 2010, 07:32:49 am
Just in case, Dennis, are you rotating the machine to line up the marks on the upper pulley?
Mike

I'm not paying any attention to the pulleys, I'm just rotating until that "arm" is far enough out of the way to let me fuss with it for a while until I can get the bobbin out and then back in again. Last time it took me 25 minutes just to get the bobbin out and another one back in. On our other sewing machines this normally takes less that 10 seconds.
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

Saddleman

That arm that is in your way.  Is that part of the feed dog mechanizm?  Try setting stitch length to max and then rotate the drive pulley to see if it clears.