Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:22:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I want to buy a better sewing machine...1 year from now

Started by sawdustar, September 09, 2010, 08:49:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Few things here;

That feed carrier is in the way; just how it is on some bottom loaders.  Juki DNU-1541 corrects this, and as long as the needle is not in the way, you can remove and insert bobbin.

New Consew...yes, most models are made in China, but NO plastic gears on thier industrial model machines.  A lot of machines come from China today, including the new Pfaff 1245.

Old Consews were made by Seiko Sewing Machine Mfg., in Japan.  You can STILL get new Seiko machines today.

Mike8560

Id hate having to load  bobbins like that. I sugest a usd singer 111w155 top loading bobbin. I use a broken seam ripper to lift by bobbins out and catch my bobbin thread after its pulled up to pull it on out.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mike8560 on September 10, 2010, 04:50:13 pm
Id hate having to load  bobbins like that. I suggest a usd singer 111w155 top loading bobbin. I use a broken seam ripper to lift by bobbins out and catch my bobbin thread after its pulled up to pull it on out.

It's personal preference.  Some only like top loaders, some only like bottom loaders, some people tell me they don't really care, as long as it's a good machine.  Top loaders have always been more expensive, as well.  Can't answer why, as both are very strong, reliable sewing mechanisms, when properly designed and made well. 

206RB

OK, My question probably should have been "have you looked at the owners manual, or contacted the company that made the darn thing"
Mike

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: 206RB on September 10, 2010, 05:49:35 pm
OK, My question probably should have been "have you looked at the owners manual, or contacted the company that made the darn thing"
Mike

"Most" manuals will tell you to line up two dots, one on the handwheel and one on the casting right next to the dot on the handwheel to remove the bobbin.

sawdustar

The manual I have for the machine is poor at best. It appears that this machine model was made for and distributed by Harbor Freight at one time.

I am making plans for a better machine, but once I can get the bobbin in and out without me or the LOML fussing about it? We will make do for now, take on enough work to pay for a new or used better machine.

About twice a year I make it to Philly on business. I think one of the preferred vendors here is located in Philly.....right Gregg?  ;)
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

bobbin

I remove the bobbin case on my machines so instinctively that I don't really give it a second thought when I do it!  But I was thinking about exactly I do it after reading your post, Sawdustar. 

I automatically make sure the needle is at the height of its travel, never part way in the cycle.  I always take my foot off the treadle.  Then I reach under the machine and release the latch on the bobbin case and remove it.  I replace the bobbin in the case and reinsert it in the race and bring the bobbin thread up by cycling the machine once by hand.  That is just habit since the full function machines don't require the bobbin thread to brought up through the hole in the throat plate.  I then put the empty bobbin on the winder and set it up to rewind while I sew. 

I'd be very leary of shaving anything off the bobbin case or the race, personally.  Those parts are engineered to fit snugly and precisely and monkeying around with them could set in motion a whole set of consequences you may not find to your liking!

Mike, I know it seems fiddly but once you've worked with a horizontal axis machine for a day it's really easy to pop a bobbin in and out; no harder than the standard vertical axis machines.  It's important to remember that these are production machines and for production to be smooth routine bobbin changes have to be simple and straightforward.  It's just a question of practice. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sawdustar on September 11, 2010, 09:35:23 am
The manual I have for the machine is poor at best. It appears that this machine model was made for and distributed by Harbor Freight at one time.

I am making plans for a better machine, but once I can get the bobbin in and out without me or the LOML fussing about it? We will make do for now, take on enough work to pay for a new or used better machine.

About twice a year I make it to Philly on business. I think one of the preferred vendors here is located in Philly.....right Gregg?  ;)

Um, that's right!  I do have a show room, and lots of models in stock. 

Grebo

I was having bobbin troubles when I first got my seiko STH 8BLD-1, until  I read the manual  :-[ , having previously used & still use my pfaff 545 top loader I didn't know there was a specific position to get it out.  Live & learn  :-X

sawdustar

I have looked and looked my entire machine over for "markings" to align the hand wheel with the machine body. There are none. The LOML is the one that taught me about rotating it until the needle was at the highest point in order to work with the bobbin.

There's plenty of space between the bobbin and the fixed part on the machine. There's just no space between the bobbin carrier and that metal arm hanging just every so slightly in the way of getting the bobbin out.
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

rfengr

I had the same problem on the same machine until I figured out the secret. 

1) Press the reverse lever and hold (not necessary but make it easier)

2) Change the stitch length knob to the longest setting.  Release the reverse lever.

3) Tilt machine and move wheel till it clears.

Presto.... the bobbin is out. 

The machine works great for my boat canvas projects.

Alan

jsquail

i just upgraded from a Yamata FY8500(the harbor freight Model) to a Consew 206-rb5. All i can say is I feel your pain on the bobbin and I wish I had upgraded sooner. Its a world of difference.  I found Consew Heads for about 1k new. picked mine up on ebay for 615 new from a private seller. I think  any one of the machines that have been talked about will out perform the Yamata.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

regalman190

I bought the Highlead from Gregg two years ago. Great machine. Great service. And, I haven't had any problems changing out the bobbin. I highly recommend it!
Regal Canvas

scarab29

duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike8560

i paig about 800 for my used singer 11w155 i also bought a new juki ust the head for about 800 i had a tsed table and motor i like a  top load bobbin as i can install a binder on the top plate and sw itch plate out when im noy binding,,