Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:05:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bus conversion update #1

Started by mike802, August 30, 2010, 12:24:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mike802

This weekend I was able to strip the old ceiling out of the bus.  The original insulation is in good shape and it is 1 3/4" thick.  I am unsure if I want to use it, or replace it with something else.  Pink, or blue board has a little higher R value, but not much.  Anyway, if I just attach the new ceiling material to the metal frame frost and moisture will be transferred into the cabin through the screws used to hold up the new ceiling.  To try and avoid this, I started applying 1/2" plywood strips to the roof frame work.  The tight curves will have to be cut from something different, probably solid wood.  These strips will lower the ceiling some, but will give additional room for more insulation, will insulate the screws used to hold up the new ceiling and will be easy to drill holes in for running wires.  

I also removed some of the rivets holding on one of the inner panels.  There is also insulation behind this panel.  It appears to be fiberglass wrapped in a bag.   I am thinking of leaving this insulation and adding a 1/2" of celotex insulation over the panels.

I will post more updates as I go.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

hdflame

Mike,

Can't wait to see it finished!......maybe next week?? ;D

I think leaving the insulation that's there and adding more is a good idea.  You don't want to have to worry about condensation.

Keep us posted with progress pics!
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

mike802

QuoteCan't wait to see it finished!......maybe next week?? Grin
Don't I wish!  It is exciting to finally be at the point where I can start building instead of tearing things out.  I have been thinking over the problem of condensation a lot lately.  In a house ventilation is provided above the insulation usually in the form of attic ventilation in the soffits and the gable ends, or a ridge vent.  Don't know how I am going to provide that in the bus?  Many conversions do not address this, that I have seen.  I am going to post some questions about it at a bus conversion forum that I have joined and see what they have to say about it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln

Mojo

Awesome. This is going to be fun watching the progress of your bus conversion. Thanks for posting updates.

BTW, with the ceiling and walls exposed now is the time to plan out your wiring, receptacles, lighting, plumbing, etc. :)

Keep the pictures coming Mike. :)

Chris

mike802

The guys over at the bus conversion forum all agree to get the old fiberglass insulation out of there.  They recommend installing spray in expanding foam, the best solution and also the most expensive.  The second alternative is blue or pink board, harder to install with less R value, but half the price.  They also said that the bus roof is not air tight enough to worry about adding ventilation.   This is that stage of the project where going back and changing things later is not an option, so it looks like the old fiberglass is going to have to come out. 

walterharris

well anyway its a crappy game.

Why dont they make a real bus driving simulator of brisbane that is acctually precise? One of the SE busway would be good...

walterharris

widget wrote:well anyway its a crappy game.

Why dont they make a real bus driving simulator of brisbane that is acctually precise? One of the SE busway would be good...