Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 05:17:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

TUCK AND ROLL PLEATS

Started by daveich, August 27, 2010, 06:39:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DO YOU CUT THE PINCH OFF

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

daveich

IN A VIDIO THAT I SAW FROM A LINK FROM HERE. THEY SHOULD HOW TO DO THE PLEATS AND AFTER FOLDING AND SEWING THEY CUT THE PINCHED PIECE OFF THE BACK. DO YOU CUT THIS OFF ON YOUR WORK OR DO YOU LEAVE IT. DON

SHHR

I just trim at where any seam would fall perpendicular to the pleats so it sews together easier and doesn't show lumps on the finished seam.
Kyle

stitcher_guy

On a seat, I will leave the crimped part. Then if a seam does pop, it won't show through to the foam until it can be repaired.

If I'm doing sew and fold (there was a big discussion awhile back about what is Tuck n Roll and what is Sew n Fold) for a door panel or other flat panel, I will trim off the back so that it lays closer to the flat surface.

hdflame

Quote from: SHHR on August 27, 2010, 07:00:20 pm
I just trim at where any seam would fall perpendicular to the pleats so it sews together easier and doesn't show lumps on the finished seam.
Kyle

That's what I do too.

Russ, do you trim it where you sew over it or where it wraps over an edge to keep it from puckering or sticking up?

In the middle of a seat where there's no overlapping seam, I don't really see a need to trim it, but your point about it tearing and showing the seat makes for a good reason not to! ;D

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

stitcher_guy

Yes to the trimming where a panel overlaps. It's hard enough keeping it laying flat doing that let alone leaving the full flap back there.