Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 08:31:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question about tacks and supply prices

Started by kdeck, August 24, 2010, 02:43:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kdeck

Hi Guys, I've been lurking the site for a little while now and am excited to join the community.

I'm just barely getting started, and have ordered most of my tools. I have been planning to work with tacks at first and then move on to getting a good air staple gun.

I've been pricing out supplies for my first project when I came onto tacks. A few suppliers I've found charge about $15 for a one pound box of tacks, which should have around 25 tacks at the 3 oz size.

My question: Isn't $15 for 25 a bit pricey for tacks? Should I just forego working with tacks, and invest in a good staple gun? Is this over-priced? What am I missing?

- Kevin

lruthb

I don't think you can beat an air stapler. Time saver! Investment in a compressor as well as the gun and staples.
A electric stapler would be my second choice. beats spitting tacks anytime. I really like having it as one of my tools for out of shop work. Investment staple gun, staples and an extension cord.
spitting tacks I think is an art. Some people can spit just as fast as a staple gun but not me.
I just ran an grabbed one of my suppliers books and 3OZ 3/8 tacks are $6.30 plus shipping of course.  WWW.ROCHFORDSUPPLY.COM is the book I grabbed. You would do well checking with the others here whom live in your area.

Good luck in your future endeavor!
lYNN

gene

I assume you are talking about furniture upholstery.

Unless you are going to be doing authentic restoration, I would suggest a pneumatic staple gun. It is faster, not much of a learning curve like tacks, and it does less damage to the wood.

You may get a staple in your eye or leg or finger, but I have never heard of anyone swallowing a staple being shot out of a staple gun.

Search this forum and you will find everything you ever wanted to know about buying a compressor and pneumatic staple gun.

A google search will also be helpful.

Good luck in your new ventures. You are already doing a good thing by hanging around this forum.

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kdeck

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate the support. I think I might just start looking for a good staple gun.

- Kevin

MinUph

Kevin,
  Nothing wrong learning with tacks. They are easier to remove if you just put them in a little. I've spit tacks for over 30 years and have yet to swallow one. I use a stapler but still rely on tacks for certain things.
  A 1 lb box of 3oz tacks has more than 25 tacks in it. The 3oz is just the size. There is probably a few hundred in  a pound. 4 oz tacks will have less per pound but these are just sizes.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kdeck

Paul,

That actually helps me a lot. I called a supplier and that is what they told me. It didn't sound right... hence the question. Thanks.

- Kevin