Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 08:25:13 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

form fitting leather upholstery

Started by bobnwv, August 23, 2010, 11:34:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobnwv

hello folks,

I used to post occ. on the old format (years ago),  but never on this one.

But I will give it a shot today because I need advice and I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.

Problem:  I am redoing a very old barber chair that has a round seat and a round back.  On the back , in particular,  the wear surface is nearly flat but
when the leather falls over the edge to the tack line there is not one pucker or wrinkle.  It appears to have been preformed to a shape much like
a screw-on can lid.

If I am not clear with that description, imagine putting a tablecloth on a round table and the cloth did not have any folds as it hung over the edge of the table.

HOW'D THEY DO THAT?   Thanks for any suggestions.  Bobnwv

SHHR

From what you are explaining, it sounds to me you just need to pull it really tight. The leather will take the shape well. the tighter you pull, any wrinkles will work themselves around to the backside of the panel then will be held there with tacks or staples. Always pull with the wrinkle too and not perpendicular to it.
Kyle

JuneC

I know Karen used to wet-form leather to all sorts of shapes without wrinkles or seams.  Sure miss her on this forum.  She had some unique skills and a unique way to showcasing them.  Maybe a google search for wetting leather for shaping? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Cheryl

Wetting the back of your leather with a water/glycerin mix seems to help me  sometimes.   I would  wet it on the back real well and just  see if I couldn't  palm it out.

Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.