Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 01:15:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How do you cut a round bullnose in foam?

Started by Rickster, August 06, 2010, 08:00:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickster

I have some standard pontoon boat seats with 5" round (180 degree) ends. How is this foam cut? I thought about rough cutting the foam and then gluing up a thinner layer rolled over it.

R

kiwistuffer

Kinda hard to explain but,you don't need to cut it, just apply glue to the whole end and carefully(and messily)run a needle down the center and fold the ends in to meet each other.You will get a natural bullnose.Might want to have a wee practice on some scrap.Hope that makes sense...

bobbin

Certain suppliers also carry precut lengths of it in their stock.  The trouble is, sometimes the density of those pieces isn't anywhere near the foam you're using and there are times when that is important. 

gene

August 07, 2010, 05:48:02 am #3 Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 05:57:23 am by gene
In looking at the front of the foam, I use my electric carving knife and cut the top and bottom edge off the front of the foam. Depending on the amount of curve, I cut anywhere from 1/4" to 1". There is no 'roundness' to the front face of the foam. It just has the top and bottom edges cut off.

I then add a layer of poly batting  that wraps around the front curve. The cushion cover then creates a very smooth curve once the foam is inside the cushion cover.

Note: I do furniture upholstery, not boats. I would think the same technique would apply to boats, but others who know their fore from their aft may want to verify this.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

On interior seating I often encounter knee rolls.  And when we replace the foam we do pretty much what Gene described above.  Often, carving off the "corners" and then wrapping it with batting and  putting it in a cover that is cut  and sewn to reinforce the curved shape desired is all that is required to get a pleasing curve (arc?). 

I don't know how it would be possible to cut a perfect curve without more specialized equipment than a basic foam saw. 

MinUph

I used to get buffed edge foam from my supplier. The buffed edge was only around a 1" radius but sufficed to give a cushion a rounded front. Don't know if it would still be available but I don't see why not.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website