Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:46:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Going green in a fun way

Started by stitcher_guy, July 21, 2010, 12:09:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stitcher_guy

You can't always be doing the high-dollar full interiors. It'll drive you nuts. Sometimes it's fun to get a weird job and see what comes of it. A guy on the other side of the state got hold of an old Berri Mini T dune buggy. It's rough and well-used, but all there. The rollbar is hideous and it didn't have a top. He wants to go with the ratrod look doing it in black suede, so wanted something besides a typical dune buggy bikin! top.

It was in the shop and I was debating what to do at the same time I was replacing a vandalized top on a PT Cruiser (NOT a fun job considering the instruction sheet calls for two people, but good bucks). I pulled the old top and needed a place to lay it, so just draped it across the Mini T roll bar. The big glass back window fell in place and there was my top. I removed about two feet from the front end of the top (where the knife hole was) and used that material for the door edging. The front edge lost all the gross turnbuckles, and slides along a channel (actually for camper awning attaching, but whatever works). The corners were darted along the rollcage to where the original material ended. Then grafted in some lower plates to finish out the side quarters. The owner wanted round portholes in his top to add to the Ratrod look.

Talk about overkill. Haartz Stayfast cloth top, glass back window with defroster on a Dune Buggy. I couldn't stand to toss the top, though. They run about $1,900 retail new. He got the top and the work for about $800.

Click the pic and a slideshow should start.

Grebo

hdflame

Bet he was happy with the price! ;D

Looks good.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)