Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 08:09:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pontoon seat advise

Started by jeepdoc, July 16, 2010, 07:38:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepdoc

Ok last post the guy finially decided on the vinyl he want to use thanks again fot the advise. This is the newest project just droped off tonight. Could not convince customer to buy new foam why???? I gues they like to save money makes it kinda harder for me, could I use dacron over the entire seat? Im thinking i have some scrap foam around replacing what I can then steam whats there then cover in dacron.

When making a pattern since the oid vinyl is so hard it just crumbles should i use just the foam to pattern then use the dacron to tighten everything up or pattern after the dacron is layed over the piece

This pic shows how they did the corner couldn't I just run one seam down the middle?

Last question he wants the back finished as well could i use flexable tack strip on vinyl or would there be a better way to cover the back? you cant see much of the back due to the seat is mounted against the rail.

Thanks Ive never done a bench like this mostly flat stuff like bow cushions and a few buckets so this should be fun
Thanks again

baileyuph

You could do one seam.

I find keeping the seam out of the acute turn produces a better looking corner, basically I can cut the corner piece on a bias which produces the nicer corner.

Regarding patterning, I would do it with a mathmatical consideration and not give up the idea of replacing the foam.  I could be wrong but it looks pretty well used up.

Fun ahead of you.   :)

Doyle

JuneC

July 17, 2010, 06:42:54 am #2 Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:46:47 am by JuneC
Is that corner the inside of the bolstered seat back?  You might get away with one seam, but IMHO it'll be harder to get a smooth corner without 2 seams.  I just find it easier unless the vinyl is really stretchy.  Fat bolsters like that are tricky to cover - think about how many seams you see in an inflatable beach ball. 

I'd pattern over the foam, then wrap with dacron when putting on the new covers.  Since the foam is old, the dacron will fill out those areas where the old seams have the foam compressed and will give you a more finished look.  

As for finishing the back, I do it all the time.  Just use hydem over your line of staples.  After installing the front skin, pull a layer of vinyl over the back (I usually use a thin layer of foam as well), staple in a straight line along the edges of the frame, trim very close to the staples, then cover your staple line with hydem.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jeepdoc

yes that is an inside back Ill take you advise while playing with the  pattern today I see what you mean. You say tricky like this corner? other wise the rest looks pretty straight forward it uses a stay across the bottom. I figure start in middle? tack ends and fasten down ? Am I in for a wrestling match?
I know money is tight now days I hate to redo the seat without replacing the foam but he does not want to invest much more do you think the dacron will hide most of the foam flaws? This guy is a river rat trying to use him as a moblie business card. I ve been trying to get more jobs to gain more exper. and make some cash doing it but ill give est to customers and they cringe tell me they can buy cheaper on the internet. If i cant get jobs how can you fine tune your skills? I know my est are inline for the area Ive shopped other shops prices and not to many around given the boating avail around here.

Mike8560

Besides hydem I've also just sewn on fabric where the hydem would be pulled it down and stapled it

jeepdoc

Ok decided to replaced the foam he brought over some green stuff from Hancock fabrics for the bolster part ---stuff was junk. I was blowing staples right throught the stuff I tried using a wider staple but those just bounce off the treated and sealed plywood. i hope that was the problem I ordered some foam from dlt today have to see if thats better. Maybe that foam was not dense enough? Is 3/8 crown 71 fine wire staples ok to use for foam work the staples are 1/2 long It seemed to work good using the old foam.

Mike8560

jeepdoc

You know thats what I was thinking today I was just following what was done from the last time it was covered Well I guess thats what you call learning as you go
thanks mike8560

jeepdoc

Yeah I see that inside corner is very tricky no matter what I did could not keep the wrinkles out What advise can you guys give? the upper bolster part is good but the inside back Is fighting me. I thought about using some button twine to pull it back that would get rid of the winkles good Idea? cant really glue it due to using Dacron over that old foam. Need advise ???
Thanks Jeff

Peppy

By Dacron, you mean quilt batting type stuff? We call it terralyne, (but I don't know how to spell it) I don't like using batting with vinyl. I don't find it helps get rid of wrinkles, sometimes it makes them worse. 1/2" or 1/4" foam is what I use, glued onto the old foam. If you can, pull away from the corner hard so that you have to pull the fabric into the corner (make sense?) That might make it to long though. It's a fine line in patterning, making it small enough without making it too small. "tight is right, too tight is short!" (I read that somewhere)

I have, in a pinch, stuffed batting between the foam and the wood to fill out the corner, to put some extra pressure against the skin. You gotta be careful not to make it look ugly doing that though. And if button twine works, that is the answer. Anything in a pinch right?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

jeepdoc

Peppy did both stuffed the back and use the twine to help pull it back.looks pretty good Ill have to pratice more on that. im still tring to figure out the streach compensation thing still thanks