Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:40:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Juki LU 562

Started by sunshine_n_pc, July 14, 2010, 08:24:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine_n_pc

I gots the fever for a "new to me" sewing machine - been reading and reading for days.  Ran across a Juki LU 562 locally - can't find a lot of information about it.  I know it is a walking foot - but is it a compound walking foot?  Would this be a good machine to sew vinyl - boat seats maybe a car seat or two - just starting out - won't be a "business" but would like to build up to making some money on the side if possible.  If it is not a compound walking foot would I be better look towards a different machine?

Thanks
CeCe

sofadoc

You can read about this machine here:   http://keysew.com/Juki%20LU-563%20brochure.pdf
The Lu-562 is the small bobbin version of the LU-563. It is a great machine. Yes, it is a unison feed walking foot machine. For starting out, it is everything that you will need. How much are they asking? If the price is geting up into the $700 range, you might want to consider a rebuilt one from a reputable dealer, such as www.keysew.com
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Cheryl

Its a great machine.. bought mine new in '83.
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Yes, everything said here.  Good machine.

bobbin

I sold one a few months ago.  It had a new bench top (on Z legs), a new motor, and a new hook.  I included a couple of presser feet, a dozen bobbins, and an assortment of needles (size 16-20).  I was delighted to get $600 for it and took the money and ran. 

I purchased it used and had it for 12-15 yrs., I think.  I used it for cushion work and also for setting the pleats on drapery panels.  It was reliable and a real work horse.  I would not pay over $400-500 for the model myself. 

sunshine_n_pc

Thanks for all the information.  She wanted $800 but I offered $500.  I really didn't feel comfortable spending more than that on this machine.  She says that it is sewing and that it has some extras - I can see several large spools of thread in picture - said there was also some hardware and supplies.  She said she would take $600 - I offered to split difference at $550 - if machine sews when we get there.  She is 2 hours away.  Pictures look ok - not ragged out or scratched up - table has light and thread stands.  We shall see what she says.......

wind_rose_2

sunshine_n_pc

She said she would take $550 - I told her that I would definitely want to see it sew before we purchased.  We drove over - we actually had to take mother-in-law home so trip took us about 2 hours out of our way vs 4 hours total if we weren't traveling anyway - still a lot of time.

We got there - machine was not threaded or even plugged in.  She struggled to get it thread on her knees cause she didn't have a chair ??!!!  Sewed on a single layer of vinyl - kept hanging up and knotting, breaking, bobbin then got tangled.  She finally got it sewing better after struggling with it for 45 minutes.  Had to ask her multiple times to sew multiple layers - it was an interesting experience.  She got it sewing - I think part of the problem was her threading - and asked me if i wanted to try.  I asked for a chair  :)

It sewed ok without knotting  - but stitches were still uneven - one or 2 were a little loose - I offered her $400 - told her that I wouldn't pay more for it sewing in that condition.  She declined and we left. 

I see she updated her listing stating it was a $5000 machine - very interesting experience.  So, sad for me, I am still looking.

bobbin

Wow! my 562 not only ran and was well maintained but I allowed the eventual buyer to come by 2 times to sit and play with it while I worked on my own stuff!  And I helped her and answered questions while she fumbled along and gained a "feel" for the machine.  I even went to her home twice to help her out when she failed to hold the the threads and popped the safety clutch and couldn't get it reset on her own!  And I was thrilled to get $600!

A 562 is a very nice machine and perfectly serviceable.  But it has a small bobbin and that, for me, would be a deal breaker.  Small bobbins are a PITA if you need to do any sort of substantial stitching run.  I would hold out for a 563 for about the same money.  Cash is king, baby.  And there is no substitute for knowing how to thread and fire up a sewing machine.  You can discern a lot by just looking at the machine and asking a few questions of the seller.  If the manual and the parts book are part of the deal, jump on it!  You did the right thing by passing on the "deal".  Call her in a couple of weeks and offer her $350, cash... the seller doesn't have a clue... let her entertain a few more guests and keep an eye on the ad.. 

Used thread is usually no "deal".  Too often it's old, and if cotton is part of the mix it rots.  Look for attachments, presser feet, needles, bobbins... that's "real" money in the long term, "big" picture. 

sofadoc

Sorry it didn't work out. I think $400 was the correct offer. Keep looking. There are many Consew models that are identical to the Juki. If you had a grand to spend, you could get a brand new Highlead, or Chandler. You just have to decide how serious you are about doing this type of work.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban