Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:23:13 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need help with Car Bra

Started by RussW, July 12, 2010, 06:07:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RussW

I'm working on a custom '35 Chevy for a customer and he asked me to make a Bra for it. I'm looking for the plastic mesh to insert (sew) in any opening I make. Also I'm looking for the metal brakets on the ends used to attach the bra to the car.
Any suggestions or direction in making the cover would be appreciated, since I've never made on before.
Thanks
Russ

stitcher_guy

I did a bra for a 41 Chevy a few years ago. hardest part was getting accurate round openings for the headlights, but it came out very nice. I had a couple vent areas in his as well. I just used the screening material I put in camper windows. Available at all the suppliers.

For the clamps at the fender lips, I sewed little pockets out of the bra material, and just used 18/20 gauge metal tabs I cut out of flat stock. This is soft enough you can finger bend it around the lips. Thick enough it won't stretch out and pop off during use. My preference on anything like that, though, is to put a snap base to the inner fender well or under the front area and snap the bra in place, but you can't always do that and the owner doesn't always want it done.

ncydmn

Try this link.  I have custom built several but found if someone makes it  you can't built it for less (unless your laber is really cheep, like almost free!)  Roy.

http://www.wardlowbras.net/front_fender_bras.html

ncydmn

Ha!  Hooked on fonics wurked 4 me!!!!    ;D

RussW

Russ & Roy. Thanks for the input, checked out the site and I think I can do better, making enough on the interior to offset some of the labor for the Bra. Customer won't want any holes drilled for the snap base so I'll pick up some 18-20 guage, that's the info I needed and I'll pick up some screening also. Again thanks for the input.
Roy, your fonics of cheep trumped my on (one)
Russ

snowpea

Store bought bras have the metal clips coated with a rubber coating.  Have you ever tried to use the rubber coating "plasti-dip" from your local hardware store on pieces of metal for this type of application?  I don't have any experience with the plasti dip either but I am just curious.

hdflame

Quote from: snowpea on July 13, 2010, 08:57:32 am
Store bought bras have the metal clips coated with a rubber coating.  Have you ever tried to use the rubber coating "plasti-dip" from your local hardware store on pieces of metal for this type of application?  I don't have any experience with the plasti dip either but I am just curious.

I've used it for other things and it works good.  Easy to use, you can dip or paint with a brush.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)