Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:49:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cording question

Started by bobbin, July 01, 2010, 11:00:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I just purchased 12 yds. of a furniture fabric from Sunbrella Linen Basil; very pretty!).  It's not the usual weight of the solids/awning stripes; a lighter, softer hand overall.  I have the synthetic cording insert for use with outdoor fabrics, but it seems almost too stiff for this application.  What do you guys use when you want "outdoor/marine environment" quality but a softer, more flexible insert for your cording?  I'm thinking about getting some thin polyester line as a substitute.  Your thoughts/recommendations?

(I will be recovering the cushions on our outdoor wicker couch and 4 dining chairs; all are under the deck canopy but it's definitely an outdoor environment.  I am really excited about this project; been a long time since I've done something nice for us!)

JuneC

I've done some cushions in the linens and you're right, the foam core welting is a bit too stiff/heavy for it.  That's what I used and it came out fine, but I'd also like a lighter/softer core for this fabric. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

For my furniture, I would use the lighter weight cord filler for a fabric that is that delicate.  We are seeing problems with the stiffer foam core fillers.  This furniture doesn't sound to actually require any specific filler, it is not subject to moisture, so do what looks and feels the best.

Doyle

bobbin

June, I've used leech line as a substitute when I've been in a pickle in the shop (toss pillows in a decorator fabric that the machines nearly ate, lol) but it's an expensive substitute for the foam insert.  But it's what got me thinking about using an inexpensive polyester line.  (suppose I could get real cheap and use nylon since it won't be in the sunlight!). 

I was just wondering if there was some product that was flexible, with a soft hand, for an "outdoor" application.  I live in seacoast Maine and it's humid here, so I try very hard to make sure the "ingredients" I use in home dec. work are compatible with the conditions.  Thanks for the thoughts. 

Pikachu

I wonder if a small diameter polypropylene twine would work?

fragged8

hiya

I just did some boat cushions that used a soft string for the weld cord.

rich