Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:11:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Specific quilted marine vinyl

Started by tacky, June 29, 2010, 07:10:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tacky

Greetings all!

A new kid on the block here who has been a long time lurker, getting all of the great insights from prior posts.  This is my first question.  I have an upholstery job requiring a specific 1" quilted or heat sealed marine vinyl.  It is for a classic Boston Whaler from  @ 1970's and I know that some call the color "parchment" .  I spoke with Dave at Miami Corp. this morning and they only carry the Seabrook Cantech in the 1" quilt and was not able to source the Parchment in 1" quilt.  Can any of you shed some light on this for me.  Thank you in advance.

tacky

Struck out at Action, Gary's and SMS, but at least SMS offered to heat seal it for me at $ 89 a yard if I could source it. Ouch :'(

fragged8

hi

welcome tacky, glad you could join us.
I can't help with the vinyl as i'm in the Uk
but is making it out of the question ?

Rich

tacky

Rich,

Making it is possible, but not very cost effective.  An entire seat can be purchased direct from a Boston Whaler authorized dealer for @ $ 240.00.  It's about 2 yards of fabric total and I just didn't realize the specific fabric was so hard to find.  I've been told by some it's no longer made, but thought that some of the forums more seasoned experts might have run into this before.  In addition, the customer wants an accurate historic restoration as some of these classic models are becoming quite valuable.  Almost like antique cars.

SHHR

Just a thought, but how about buying the 1" quilted in white, the dying it to the right color. SEM makes some great dyes that holds up great.
Kyle

fragged8

hiya

thats not a bad idea, I did a car once ( mini cooper ) and sprayed the door
panels which were vinyl and it never peeled or cracked, it was great.

it was called plasticote but i expect it's called something else over there.

Rich

JuneC

There was some guy on here a few months ago advertising that his company would heat pleat anything you sent him.  Was it in the business section?  Sorry, I don't remember.  Maybe they could do a few yards for you for less than what you've been quoted. 

Boston Whalers have a cult following.  They're the only boat on the market that I'm aware of that will actually appreciate in value.  Oh... and welcome!  :D

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

penguin

Quote from: JuneC on June 29, 2010, 07:24:27 pm
There was some guy on here a few months ago advertising that his company would heat pleat anything you sent him.  Was it in the business section?  Sorry, I don't remember.  Maybe they could do a few yards for you for less than what you've been quoted. 

Boston Whalers have a cult following.  They're the only boat on the market that I'm aware of that will actually appreciate in value.  Oh... and welcome!  :D

June

that was Kevin from Phantom Auto Works-he's got a few projects of mine going now. Great to deal with! If you s earch for the thread  "heat pleated vinyl" by penguin the info you need is there. Good Luck

tacky

I have looked at the Plasticote and the SEM paint/dye for vinyl.  Wow!  I did not realize that these products were widely used.  I am wondering if the shops that have this "parchment" marine vinyl are actually using this and just not making it known to the customer.  I would feel a bit funny about ever doing that without express written knowledge of the buyer.  In any event the two places in Florida that have it absolutely refuse to sell any at all.  I wonder why?  The forum readers here seem so willing to help eachother out. 

penguin

I have used the SEM on all the panels in my MG midget-it still looks great after 2 years-I was hesitant to use it on the seats though as I wasn't sure how it would stand up to everyday use & getting in & out of a sardine can.