Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:28:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

double sided tape

Started by gene, June 16, 2010, 05:25:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

June 16, 2010, 05:25:39 pm Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:29:41 pm by gene
Hello,

Does anyone use double sided tape, down the sides, for the outside back on furniture? I use metal tack strips.

Check out this video: corner pleat at 1:50 (no double sided tape but interesting), and the double sided tape at 2:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoPvvpZNXyM

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

His corner fold was a little sloppy. Micro-suede is probably the ideal fabric for adhering to the double sided tape. I've never tried that stuff. It might have some useful applications. I wonder if the outside back panel will loosen easily.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

hdflame

The video looked cool, but I didn't have any sound!  Did they explain the process?

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

sofadoc

Quote from: hdflame on June 16, 2010, 06:12:41 pm
The video looked cool, but I didn't have any sound!  Did they explain the process?

Not really, he just said that they were using the double-faced tape. I noticed that the camera didn't show the upper corner (above the spot where the double sided tape began).
The reporter boasted of how the sofa was only going to cost $150 (for the fabric).
He neglected to mention the cost of buying the used sofa from the re-sale store, as well as the cost of labor.

byhammerandhand

So, then, I can get my sofa recovered for about $200?   

I was sitting in a waiting room Tuesday while HGTV was on.  They were making bookcases or something.  The lady next to me said, "They make it look so easy."  My comment was, "You notice they never show close ups of those finished MDF and pneumatic-nailed projects?"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kiwistuffer

Wow!, sloppy,sloppy,sloppy, what a poor standard of upholstery, I would be ashamed to let that out of my shop.Double sided tape will tear away the first time someone bumps the outside back but given the poor quality of the rest of the job it probably doesn't matter.If that is the standard then you guys have no competition....

JuneC

Their shop is about 4 miles down the road and they've been in business for as long as I can remember - at least 25 years.  I've never used their services or knew anyone who did, but I have to say I'm shocked! Tape???!!! You gotta be kidding...

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Lynn

Are they serious!!!!double sided tape!!! it's got to be some kind of joke!!!!! sloppy,sloppy,sloppy - absolutely!!

Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

Cheryl

*shaking head in disgust* 

Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on June 17, 2010, 03:31:50 pm
Their shop is about 4 miles down the road and they've been in business for as long as I can remember - at least 25 years.  I've never used their services or knew anyone who did, but I have to say I'm shocked! Tape???!!! You gotta be kidding...

June

I wonder if they only do low budget jobs for re-sale stores? Kinda looked liked they had a pretty big operation in the video. If I had been him, I think I would've wore a pair of those glasses with the built-in fake moustache.

JuneC

Quote from: sofadoc on June 17, 2010, 08:58:27 pm
I wonder if they only do low budget jobs for re-sale stores?

Not at all!  Boca Raton is a very high-rent district.  They're in the center of town in a quite-nice light industrial area.  Shops there go for probably 50% more per square foot than elsewhere, just for the location.  Only thing I can justify their quick fix methods for is the fact that Boca is "new money" as opposed to Palm Beach (20 miles north) "old money" and people here have to have the latest and greatest and probably change their furniture every 2 years because someone at the country club changed theirs.  Now in Palm Beach, you'll find priceless antiques being reupholstered.  Not here.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

scottymc

2 points, with the quality of work man ship on that video, there will always be "ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT" and never trust a man who tucks his jumper in his pant's  :)