Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:52:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

First real upholstery job!

Started by mnc2fan, June 15, 2010, 05:58:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mnc2fan

I've started advertising upholstery work. I posted on criagslist yesterday, and received a call today from a man that is needing some boat seats done.

I'll get some pictures on here of what I'm going to be doing.

I'm excited  ;D

hdflame

GOOD LUCK!

We want pictures in the "Green Room"! ;D

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

mnc2fan

June 18, 2010, 07:33:43 pm #2 Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:08:14 pm by mnc2fan
These are pictures for another job. The man from the seats that I posted about, he's yet to get the material.

I'm getting ready to work on a captains chair, and rap around bench seats from a bayliner sunbridge. So this should be interesting.

Hopefully this isn't too overwhelming of a job. But tons of experience from this. And the woman said that she wouldn't feel right with me only having here supply the material, so this job will be a bit of a money maker. And something to add to my portfolio.

Wow, forgot how to do images for a bit. Fixed.

seamsperfect

Ambitious first project for not having done upholstery before.  Take your time and good luck with it.
Kevin

mnc2fan

I have 5 days to do this, I feel that should give me plenty of time to get this done. Actually started today, and it takes me about an hour or so to strip, rip all the seams, and lay it out. Luckily there isn't a ton of sewing to do.

If I run into any problems, I'll be sure and ask for help.

And for the coloring they gave me, its just black and blue. And there won't be a whole lot of black on it. What is the general idea behind ribbing, or the plastic or nylon cord on some seems? Is it a requirement, or optional? If I lost you, I'll get a picture of what I'm talking about.

hdflame

The welting is for looks, but also adds some strength to the seam as well.  You will need welt cord and a special foot if you don't have one.  You could make it without the welting foot, but it would be harder especially for a rookie.

Good luck and be sure to share pics as you go.  Make sure you take plenty of pics AS YOU TAKE IT APART.  They will help you put things back together in case you have any questions.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)