Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:07:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Replacing part of an enclosure

Started by timtheboatguy, June 13, 2010, 08:04:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timtheboatguy

I have a customer that wants me to replace about half of his eisenglass. How can I do this and get the zippers to match up? Should I also replace the zipper half in the window pieces that I am not replacing? I am also concerned about getting the new pieces to fit good without wrikels etc. so what is the best way to pattern the replacement windows?

Please excuse my extreme lack of intelligence ???

Tim
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

fragged8

hiya

normally you don't replace the fabric part, what you do is sew the new window over the top of the old one

In other words leave the old one in place and sew the new one right on top using the same
stitch lines.

when stitched in you then carefully cut away the old window from the outside and
as close to the stitching as you can.

If the panel window is broken already the panel can change shape and not fit when
you fit it back on the boat so take some duct tape with you and firmly tape up any holes
while the panel is fitted on the boat to maintain the panel shape.

Rich

regalman190

If the window is mostly vinyl, and depending on how bad the window is, I'll just use the old as the template and match the zipper placement. You could also stay stitch a zipper on to pattern material, zip it to the top and mark your pattern accordingly (side zips, etc.). If it's mostly fabric, then I'll do as Rich stated....just replace the vinyl.
Regal Canvas

timtheboatguy

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike8560

Id do like they bolth said but If I was going to pattern a new panel on the boat what I doo is I zip the new zipper onto the existing zipper o n the boats top and adjacent windows then I take my patternign plastic and clap in to the zippers and the snap it to the snaps on the boat with a binding tape with snaps in it snapping right over the plastic. then mark all seams zipper locations stats and stops ect and your go to go.