Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 05:22:19 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Advice for a sewing machin for upholstery

Started by superfly, May 08, 2010, 11:54:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

superfly

May 08, 2010, 11:54:59 am Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:48:06 pm by superfly
Hi all,

I am doing some research about upholstery at the moment. I have starting some reading.  ;D
I am restore classic car as a hobby and for myself, I am restoring porsche 924 at the moment, and I really need a new interior.

So I am thinking about learning how to do it, or at least try.

So I found a pfaff 463 for €150, but I am wondering if it is suitable ?

I have read a couple of post including the recommenced machine post, but I have to say I am confused.
The book I am reading about upholstery say that any industrial sewing machin will do.

But based on my reading on the forum it won't.

Basically the job I would like to be able to do is doing the seats of my cars.
I am not thinking about selling my service to anyone, I just want to take care of my cars.

I know it sounds a bit crazy to want to do it all on my own but I would like to learn it.

BTW I never sew before....  ;D

hdflame

superfly,

Welcome to the board!

If you'll do a few searches with keywords like, best sewing machine, Highlead, Juki, Consew, Pfaff, Singer, etc., etc.

You need a compound feed walking foot machine.  You can get by on less, but you'll fight it the whole time.  READ all you can and ask questions when you don't understand. ;D

There are several good makes of machines that will work, just make sure you look for the options I mentioned above.  Find a good reputable dealer in your area, especially since you have no experience sewing.  Once you get your machine start practicing just being able to control the machine.  With the last comment, I would also look for a servo motor, NOT clutch motor.  "Servo motor" would be another good search t o get you started reading.

If you buy a good machine at a fair price and take care of it, you'll be able to get your money back if you decide to sell it.  Don't think "CHEAP", you'll be sorry in the long run. :-[

Good luck! ;D
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

hdflame

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

bobbin

If you are going to do upholstery work you definitely want a compound feed, walking foot machine!  Yeah, you can do the work with "any" machine but just because you can do it doesn't mean it will be easy!  Big difference. 

I recently sold a Juki 562 (walking foot, compound feed) circa 1978 (?).  I got $600 for it.  It was perfectly serviceable (new hook, stand, motor, all presser feet, bobbins, and needles) but was an early Juki model and had the small bobbin... if you see one on the market, skip it.  Look for the 563 which has a bigger bobbin.  Expect to pay more than $600.

Pfaff makes a terrific machine, but the parts are expensive when it's time to replace them.  Aside from the cost of parts I think they're fabulous machines, although I always found the reverse mechanism on older models a pain, personally (you have to lift the stitch length regulator and inevitably you wind up shortening the stitches over time). 

If upholstery is what you want to do don't jackass around with "any" industrial machine.  Buy the right tool... compound feed, walking foot. 

Jim101

I agree with the other posts about a compound, walking foot type of machine.   What you buy is important but also where you buy it is important too.

Beware of Craigslist & Ebay sales.  Often they will list a sewing machine as a walking foot machine when in fact it isn't. 

That's not to say you couldn't save a few bucks buying online but just be sure to check with a reputable seller of sewing machines.  If they can take a look at a machine before you buy it even better.

You'll find dealers online here in this forum and while I've never purchased a sewing machine from them I have seen where others have and they've been happy with purchase.

Good luck and buyer beware.

Jim

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on May 08, 2010, 12:43:27 pm
I recently sold a Juki 562 (walking foot, compound feed) circa 1978 (?).  I got $600 for it.  It was perfectly serviceable (new hook, stand, motor, all presser feet, bobbins, and needles) but was an early Juki model and had the small bobbin... if you see one on the market, skip it.  Look for the 563 which has a bigger bobbin.  . 

C'mon. If Superfly is just going to be doing his OWN carseats, is bobbin capacity REALLY a priority? I sewed on a 562 forever before getting a big bobbin machine last year. To me, it's an over-rated experience.  My favorite feature on a walking foot machine is the dial knob stitch length adjustment (as opposed to the old fashioned "Hold the button down while rotating the wheel" method) .
BTW bobbin, I concur with you about the stitch length adjustment on the old Pfaffs.
My feature preferences in order would be:
1) Reverse
2) Better stitch length adjustment
3) Top load
4) Big bobbin
One more thing Superfly, as mentioned in other recent threads, stay away from 3450 RPM motors. Make sure it's 1725 RPM. If it's 3450, it's probably not a walking foot anyway.
Check out the walking foot section at: www.keysew.com
Even if they are out of your budget range, they will give you a good idea of what to look for.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

superfly

Thanks a million for all your advice.

I have reply to the pfaff offer and I have say no, I need to get the right tool for my need.

Otherwise work become hard and painfull, and it is a hobby so I need to enjoy it.

It is time for me to read about the topics. I will surely ask you more question soon  8)

superfly

Hi all,
I have been doing a bit of reading about the topics "Automotive Upholstery Handbook".
In the book, Don Taylor advice that you can do ulphostery with a non-walking needle machine.

I have my grand mother about the topic she used to sew material for living. And she told me that leather or vinyl will stick to the machin so I will need a walking needle or use something to make the vinyl move.
I have seen that Don taylor is advice to use a sort of silicon.

What do you think about this?

Cheers

hdflame

superfly,

The suggestions that sofadoc gave are right on target.  I started out trying to make do with a home type heavy duty machine and quickly learned that fighting your machine and trying to keep your material lined up is no fun at all.  A home machine WILL NOT work for doing quality automotive upholstery.

If you want quality stitches and work, you will have to invest in a walking foot machine in my opinion.  I started out on a home machine, then bought a commercial non-walking machine.  Neither would do what I wanted. >:(

I bought a compound feed machine.....now I'm HAPPY! ;D

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

superfly

Hi hdflame,

It sounds like the path to avoid definitely, thanks for convinience me for definite!!

I just need to find this kind of machine, and start sewing.  ;D

bobbin

Walking foot, compound feed.  It's what you want for upholstery/marine canvas/awning work. 

And I stand by my assertion that a bigger capacity bobbin is important.  If it didn't make that much difference Juki would still be making machines with the small bobbins now, wouldn't they, Sofadoc?   ;)

I think bobbin capacity matters more when you are faced with longer stitching runs (think large outdoor deck canopies) or the necessity of using heavy thread (92 and 138).  No way would I ever go back to the Juki small bobbin; that's why I suggested the Juki 563.  Reasonably priced, too!

fragged8

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on May 27, 2010, 01:10:28 pm
And I stand by my assertion that a bigger capacity bobbin is important.  If it didn't make that much difference Juki would still be making machines with the small bobbins now, wouldn't they, Sofadoc?   ;)

Bobbin: I stand corrected. I guess I was looking at it strictly from a furniture point of view. I seldom make long stitching runs, so changing a bobbin less often just isn't that big a deal to me. Now that I have an "M" bobbin machine, I figure that I save 10 minutes a day by changing the bobbin less often. I spend 20 minutes every morning just doing the crossword puzzle ;D
But this is currently just a hobby for superfly, and he was looking to buy a machine for under $250 USD. Of course, he won't get a walking foot machine, unless he pays over twice that much. So if he can save a few bucks on a "G" bobbin machine, why not?
But for me, if I could only choose 1 of 2 features, either the dial knob stitch length adjustment or the big bobbin, I'll take the dial knob.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Bob T

When I bought my Juki, I already had a Consew.  The guy who sold me the Consew was going to get a Juki because it could get the job done and he would be able to get back to work and get some work done. He was delighted.  It wasn't until I purchase my own Juki that I became "delighted". 

superfly

Hi all,

I have not forget my idea, I have just a lot on my plate, what a crazy idea I got with classic car restoration  ;)
So last night I was checking again for a sewing machin with walking foot, I found a Adler Walking Foot Industrial Sewing (Adler walking foot industrial sewing machine,single phase motor.heavy duty.suitable for upholstery. )
I am going to ring them today to know the exact model.

The asking price is €300 so it could match my budget. I have seen another one a Paff 335 but the price is €1000 so it is a bit pricy for only a hobby and my cars and it is out of budget.

Do you have any opinion on adler machin?

Cheers
Superfly

Hopefully soon I will start the work  ;D