Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:09:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cloth Backed Foam

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, June 02, 2020, 10:48:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Working on a boat.  Will be sewing pleats.  I have the cloth backed foam. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Fuck this place.

Mojo

Sewing scrim is pretty straight forward. It is a very slow process though as you have to take your time
making sure the lines stay perfectly parallel.

Not one of my fun sewing jobs. :)

Mojo 

Virgs Sew n Sew

I've done a couple of small pieces, just to make sure I know what I'm doing.  Yup, very straightforward and slow.  It is complicated because I putting an inset in the top of the pleating with a logo sewn on it.  So I have to cut out some of the scrim.  I was able to successfully do it on my test, lined everything up correctly and it looks great.

Itching to start the actual process.  We're using the Peggy Sue (see late 50's GMC truck seats).  Only complication is that the pontoon seats are an "L".  There should be 5-6 inches of contrast but because of the "L" where the 2 seats butt has to be 23" in the white corner.  Can't do the same amount on the ends of the "L" or the logos won't lay as customer wants them to.  I'm going to call him this morning and make sure all is good so that we can get this thing rocking and the pontoon in the water before boating season is over.  I thought we'd be almost through with the seats by now and I'd be looking forward to making a new Bimini.  Do it right the first time though.
Fuck this place.

Mojo

I never did a lot of scrim sewing with pleats so I always did what you did. I used the same material and scrim and would sew a sample piece so I could get back into the swing of things. A year would pass and I would be right back doing another pleat job and would have to re-familiarize myself with layout work and sewing pleats.

It is like anything else in life, you struggle to do something, learn the tricks and then you don't do it for a long time and you are back to square one again. I run into this with drywall. I hate mudding with a damn passion and do it once every 4 or 5 years. When I do it I am right back to relearning the tricks again. How much mud to apply, the strokes you make using a mudding knife, etc. You get older and your muscle / memory bank drops.

Speaking of which I have a drywall job coming up next week in our new pool house. I am looking forward to that like I would a colonoscopy. I hate drywall and mudding.

Mojo