Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

reinforced stitching

Started by 65Buick, August 30, 2019, 08:36:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

What's the best machine for doing top-stitching of heavy duty materials? Is it the bar tacker? When top stitching tight curves, etc.

gene

Check out Cechaflo on youtube. He has some very detailed videos on top stitching.

I think any machine that can handle the size thread that you want to use is the first step. If you are doing complex shapes, having a motor that will stitch one stitch at a time is needed. Or at least be able to slow very slow and then turn the wheel when you need to go one stitch at a time.  I'm able to do that with my clutch motor but a servo is what most folks talk about.

I happened to have watched this a few days ago, again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrCUWG6b5kk

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Watching that video I have to wonder why people nowadays fail to put seam binding of some sort under the seam when top stitching. The practice was originally done to provide a stronger connection to the seam. Without the binding it is nothing but cosmetic and you can see through the stitching. I do like the way he does the corner and doesn't run straight through.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Confused. Purely cosmetic?
I see this all over the place, pretty much everyone. I have never seen anyone use a binding under the seam.

Nice video though Gene. He's relaxing to watch. I do have a servo motor and I plan to slow it way down/stitch one at a time by turning the wheel.

MinUph

65 think about the seam. The first stitch connects two pieces of fabric together this is a standard seam. Then they top stitch bu opening the seam allowance of the fabric in both directions but the first stitched seam is still the only think holding the two pieces of fabric together. So there is no added strength to the seam. Cosmetic yes structurally stronger no. When a binding tape is added the seam becomes stronger because the tape is bonding the two sections together.
A simple one sided top stitch does add strength to the seam because your not opening both sides of the seam allowance.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I am not sure which seam you are referring to but whenever I ran a double top stitch or french seam I always backed the seam with seam tape or a strip of fabric. I always referred to this type of seam as a french seam.

If I stitched 2 pieces of fabric together and then went back and top stitched I fold over the salvage on the back and then  top stitch for a stronger seam. This is how we make patio awning seams. We call it a locked seam. The two edges of the seam are double stitched and then folded and top stitched. This type of seam provides the strength equal to about 98 % of the strength of the fabric itself. IN over a decade we have produced over 20,000 different awning products and have never had a seam failure.

Mojo

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Seam strength is the main advantage of top stitch. Another advantage of using tape is it helps to keep the seam from smiling and seeing the padding through it. A big advantage of folding the seam and top stitching is then you do not have to fold the seam as your upholstering ie the inside back seams on a barrel chair which to me is a bit of a pia.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

I was always under the impression that the guy in the video was focusing on showing how to make a 90 degree turn with a top stitch. I just assumed that in production he would use tape.

And I agree, I always use tape of some sort when doing these types of stitches. I've even cut tight weave fabric into strips to use for my tape.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

I am glad to have brought this up...

Of course, my question was about the machine, which I figured out is the 'post-bed' machine. But nevermind that.

I watched some videos and did some research. If you look, even automakers don't do this. I assume it's done to the seam lay flat. Other people have commented, on youtube and such, that even after many years they can't see a difference between a reinforced seam and just a regular one-stitch seam. This tells me that if you're using quality thread, a single stitch should suffice.

Mainly I'm thinking about this as I'm deciding which seam to use for my project. I'm better at doing welt, so I think that's the choice for me versus a topstitch. That is, a welt seam with a single line of stitching.

Good discussion.

baileyuph

Generalizing - doesn't apply in a lot of cases (auto restoration that is) - if the restoration is not done like
EOM, the vehicle will loose points in a professional show.

Besides, when done right can add nice looking detail to seam.  If not, well get the right equipment could
be the right decision.

BTW, tape on most newer restoration is not tape, instead those "french seams" are accomplished, stronger with newer equipment, where not only are the two top threads accomplished, there is a criss-
crossing across the center with more thread (yes, it makes the top stitching stronger - not just an
addition of the top threads).

On autos made some 40 (plus/minus), the top stitching with (call it tape - if will) not only adds beauty but much greater durability.

I agree with the main issue:  french seaming can look amateur, especially if not performed with a
machine engineered for that job. 

Skill/experience/objectives(true restoration) sought! Are important considerations plus who is paying
the bills.

Doyle