Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:51:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Monster Hurricane

Started by kodydog, August 30, 2019, 06:29:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

This will be a rough one for those near the coast.  My neighbors daughter lived in Homestead during Andrew and when she came home following the storm there was only a slab. I believe the construction today is a lot better -  Stay safe all in harms way -
SA

gene

Homestead was a disaster waiting to happen. Studs 48" to 60" on center. No tie downs on rafters as required by law. Many houses with no required insulation in walls. No tie downs to concrete floor. I don't think there was any house in Homestead that came close to being up to code.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Hurricane Andrew was a powerful hurricane. A lot of those homes that were destroyed were substandard mobile homes built pre 80's. After Andrew Florida went to a state wide building code. Funny thing is each county interprets the code differently. The codes used for the shop we built in Suwannee county were much different than the codes used for our shop in Alachuia county.

The single wide we bought in St Augustine was built in 1972. I have no idea what the wind load is. If any. Or how it is anchored to the ground. No insurance company would insure a mobile home that old. I don't place much value on the building itself and if we decide to move there someday we would likely demolish it and build a site built home.

Now it looks like the storm is going to take a northward turn and that puts our mobile home directly in its path. I am encouraged by the fact that this 47 year old trailer house has weathered many other storms.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html