Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:39:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Newer furniture cording

Started by baileyuph, August 25, 2019, 06:43:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Finished some large wing chairs and noted the T-cushions had the cording type that is covered
with the boxing material - all one piece if you will.

This has been noticed few years back but never knew if the sewing process (or what sewing
equipment) was used by the factory?

The boxing is cut wide enough wrap the cord somewhat twice - the cording is not done
with a separate cut, covered and sewed in. 

My curiosity is what are the sewing industrial attachment that supports this? 

Another point. while the boxing/cording is one piece, I also noted there was two seam passes in
the process.  The finished T-cushion, boxing and cording wrapped ends up very tightly wrapped and
the corners (even 90 degree) end up very tightly put together.

Actually, what spawned this curiosity is - for a long time, I noticed the cord wrap(amount of material)
was not consistent - for it wrapped more cloth in areas.  In spite of this the boxing width is even -
amazing process - but works.  "how can the initial box width be cut even and end up even but more
cording - or less in areas?  Guess it comes down to distribution of wrap?

Never worked with that equipment and found this amazing!

Factories technique has evolved, this is just one example.

Just thought there might be an experience factory ex-worker or worker reading at the site?

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle,
  I used to get this type of welting in around 20 years ago. It's been around a long time. It is a good way, in a factory, to get the cording from wrinkling. Repairing them is what we did back then and it was a small PITA but not too bad once you did a few. I never saw the folder or process in the factory.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Yes, Paul I noticed the cord about that long ago (20 yr).  But, while on the subject, don't recall seeing
it in anything but cloth.  Maybe it isn't used by factory for vinyl or leather (processed)?

Changes everywhere - cording has really evolved in some of the newer furniture, for example
I see it with large scale top stitching.

There has to be equipment quite different from those years.  The large scale stitching is another
that is a pain - another one to not get involved with at our level.  There are problems that arise
with this type as we speak.

Factory work much incorporate computer support a great deal today.

Doyle

Nunyo

No special equipment needed. Couple of guys I knew that bounced between shops working piece work would use this to save time when working with stripes to match welt with band. I didnt like sewing cushion up thru zipper opening or the top stitching look on my bands so I never used this method. I always take the extra time to match plate, welt, and band stripes the traditional way. Dont like that cheap looking top stitch on my cushion bands.
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators won't be able to tell you apart.

baileyuph

The new furniture (that came out within the last low number of years (maybe less than 5 or 6??)), the top stitching along seams (a guess with or without cording) is not sewn with the conventional sewing
machine - used on the rest of the upholstery. 

This top stitching is on formal furniture (leather & cloth) and in much larger thread size.  It fails and
with my conventional sewing equipment, the larger stitch the factories use can't be duplicated nor
effectively repaired with a hand & needle.  Also the problem is even made worse (for repairman), one
would be required to disassemble the upholstery from the frame (arms, etc.) and then reinstall it.

I get a few request from new dealers to try to fix it and most times - can't because of the above
technical reasons.  Often, the suggestion for the retail seller is order the new component for
installation to the new frame.

Sometimes, working on the newer furniture - the decision is to ignore the problem or go through
the expensive process to reorder new replacement(s) components for installation.

The "cost" sometimes is not worth it for anyone.

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle,
  I too have tried to replicate the large stitch length, and thread size on a piece I was redoing. Not to repair but a reupholstery job. Came to find out my machine 1541 should use a needle larger than 160 and a thread larger than 138. The thread I tried was 210. My mechanic said I would ruin the bobbin case holder. While I did get it to work before being told this I won't do it again. I basically had to sew by turning the wheel by hand mostly.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Given my experience with this very large thread on brand new furniture (unsold a lot of the time),
I can relate to your explanation.

"No" also to even consider trying to match the seam stitch and thread size.  Can' do!

Like stated before, I explain to the furniture retailer, can't do!  The furniture is made in China, looks
impressive, but to correct the only thing I can do is install replacement panels they can get from
the factory. 

The big stitching pattern and thread used is just vulnerable to loosing tension from the
start.

So far, the problem(s) have to be resolved between the corporation doing business with
the manufacturer (in China).

I appreciate your input Paul, you definitely have the experience and insight on this issue.

Doyle