Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:36:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dealing with different seaming in the newer furniture today is tough!

Started by baileyuph, July 14, 2019, 06:40:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Much of the newer furniture today - done in a type of vinyl or leather or even cloth is seamed with
thread (all types of seaming - but various top stitching) that is near a small cord size.

But, as you doing such already know it fails, early in life - like still new! 
And they want it fixed.  Well, the curve needle is very limited, plus taking the upholstery off the piece
to sew can quickly become impractical for thread and machinery (and shop cost) compared to factory
equipment.  Even with the same equipment and thread as factory - cost quickly becomes a factor.

I have often sent the customer back to their point of purchase and order a replacement piece, system,
that will only fix the problem right - and hope it is available.

People ask how long it took me to learn how to do this stuff -- my reaction is "I will let you know", without thinking (sometimes it takes a second or two to understand).

The market today ---- to a significant degree doesn't include old school stuff - a lot of the market
doesn't have the old school stuff nor even seem to like those styles.  Too bad in a certain respect isn't it?  Where will the market gravitate to in another 5 to 10 years or?

Hang in there business friends.!

Doyle