Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:09:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

welt foot

Started by 65Buick, July 08, 2019, 06:14:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Still having a little trouble with the stitching showing when sewing welt to boxing, then plate. If I'm using 5/32" welt, what size foot should I be using? For wovens, for leather?

MinUph

1/4" for 5/32.
If you are seeing the stitching close to the welt cord try a larger size foot or a smaller cord like 4/32"
----
Foot size        Welt Size
1/8"                            1/32"

3/16"                          3/32"

1/4"                            5/32"

5/16"                          7/32"

3/8"                            9/32"

1/2"                          13/32"
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

thanks Paul. Yeah I was using 1/4" for the 5/32.

Another thing, my supplier goes by numbers, like #1, #2, and so on. Does yours?

MinUph

Not that I'm aware of 65. Are these numbers for feet or welt cord sizing?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

A little trick Rose taught me is when sewing the welt to the panel feed it into the machine slightly to the left to get the thread away from the welt. Then when closing the cushion feed it slightly to the right to get the thread tight against the welt. For me corners are the worst. On my machine it usually takes me two tries to hide the thread around corners.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Paul's chart is dead on. But he listed some welt sizes that I've never stocked.

I stock 4/32  5/32  6/32  8/32  10/32  welt cord.

For those sizes, I use 3/16  1/4  5/16  3/8  1/2  feet.

I sew my welt to the plate first, then add boxing.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Sewing cushions with welt - if there is a problem with seam showing, often it is best for me to cover
the welt cord when sewing it to the plate - like some have said ------. 

But.........I don't use a welt foot.  Instead, that process is done with binder feet.  The needle foot runs
the thread close, but not close as welt feet and is more (for me) systematic in this relationship (thread to actualwelt).

Then, when running the final seam of box or whatever to plate, use the size of welt foot that
generates the acceptable cord size. 

As a side comment, I think there is an array of feet available (hanging) for the machine that is unbelievable and is a major investment along with the machines.

The added advantage to doing welt this way is; the seaming is stronger when performing with fabric
more subject to "fray".  Today's world - there seems to be more of that to deal with when doing
furniture.  Well- even boat covers - particularly cover fabric (used to cut cost) fraying in the near term can be a major problem.  Marine fabrics that don't fray are significantly higher in price.

I don't encounter the fray issue as much in automotive work -  well. understandable with vinyls and
leather.

More imports!!!!

We are moving further to a throw away society!

Doyle

Nunyo

On second pass are you sewing with stitches showing on top so you can be sure to stay inside first pass. You can also shave foot with a dremel type tool along the side of needle hole so you can get closer on second pass and have a tighter welt. I dont use welt feet I just have my foot shaved to almost flush with needle. Sew first pass slightly loose and then tighten it up on second pass. I can sew tighter welt this way than with an unmodified welt foot. I do use a double welt foot when making that.
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators won't be able to tell you apart.