Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:59:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pet Damage Business - ?

Started by baileyuph, June 04, 2019, 05:34:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Lately, it seems to be growing;  been confronted with an increase in furniture lately.  This doesn't
mean damage only - customers are wanting to get rid of the smell. 

Did three major jobs the last few days on furniture and two on auto interior work.
Hope the OEM materials continue to be available.  Ran into a constraint on a
vehicle, getting OEM, on a near new Vette - couldn't believe it!  Finally got the necessary
stuff from down South. 

Wasn't cheap but no one expected it to be.

Makes one wonder if these type of consumer problems will lesson?

Doyle

gene

I've reupholstered a club chair and a sofa this year because dogs chewed up the corners on one and clawed the back panel on another. I always say "bad dog" when I'm talking to the homeowner. I then slip the dog a doggy treat when the homeowner is not looking. :-)

About two years ago I made arm guards for a sofa where their new puppy chewed a big hole. The owner had kept the remaining fabric from when I had reupholstered to sofa about 5 years ago so I was able to use the same fabric.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

NY passed a bill outlawing declawing your cat.  I'm a dog person - never owned a cat but it was a mean procedure and I'm glad it's being made into law.  Anyway front claws do a lot of damage to soft goods.  New income stream but I just hope folks don't treat their animals cruelly when they claw up the arm of the sofa or make those three scratches on the top of the dresser.  My little Chihuahua squirts on the bottom of the wooden D/R chairs and turns the oak black.  The pee pee pads are close by but sometimes he just doesn't care where he goes.  I have refinished alternate chair bottoms a couple of times. There's no end what we do for our best friends.
SA

gene

Florida passed a law ending dog racing at the end of 2020 if I remember correctly. There will be 10,000 greyhound dogs up for adoption. They make great lap dogs. Get a greyhound and not a cat. Cats are useless. They sleep around 20 hours a day. They think they are gods and humans exist only to serve them. I know. I have two cats.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

The greyhound information is something I haven't heard.  If it was considered abusive to the dogs, how
was that so?  Do the dogs not seem to like racing?  The owners derive the only satisfaction?

Must be something like this for Florida's decision?  Or is there much more to this?  Well, guess it can
be concluded that that state considered the racing was terrible for the dogs?

How is the dog smell treated in the home?  This I have noted in people's homes - it was due to dogs -
they were present anyway. I was there to do a mechanical repair on recliner equipment.

Learn something everyday - how does a pet care for themselves while locked up alone (?) for
a longer time?

Obviously pets can get expensive - something to consider isn't it?
Us repair people can be a cost factor (like dogs/pets), I suppose?.  But in a different way.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on June 28, 2019, 11:32:09 am
NY passed a bill outlawing declawing your cat.

________________________________________________________________________________

It was probably the textile industry that lobbied to get that law passed.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I think there are only a handful of States that have embraced the law.  I wish Washington would allow you to deduct some pet care expenses every year.  It would help folks to take better care of their pets and give pet owners a small financial break.  Washington pays for much stranger things than that.   
When we adopted our dog it was almost free but what I've paid at the vet over the years I could buy a new car.  Is my dog worth it - you bet but it's very hard to manage those expenses.
SA