Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:51:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Buying "how to" videos"

Started by baileyuph, June 01, 2019, 06:19:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Recently, a few customers have come by to get an estimate on things like small chairs or dining
room chair cushions and lamented that they bought the video but could not get their
instructions to be effective. Their general comment or statement is "can't get the corners to work". 

So, obviously they wanted an estimate on having it done at the business. 

Most say they spent two or three hours on this and after trying to do it accordingly,
they have to give up.

Well, in the play of all this, not many have the job done - even after giving a decent estimate and
outlining how a professional will do it.  The video didn't even stress pulling staples.

In the play-off of all this they just take their item and go home - saying didn't think it would
cost that much.  Describing what a professional does "how to" doesn't work.  I guess they
are basically tuned to not value furniture that much?

I never hear a complaint that I "paid for the video" - in disgust.

These customers are in the younger age close to 30 - 40.

Now, the older customers that pay admit they have done the type of work before but it is
just too much for them to do it them selves - very willing to pay a professional.

Go figure?

What do videos cost?  Don't they describe it takes some tools to do the work?  Can't
do everything with a box of tacks and hammer or a cheap mechanical stapler.

So in the stream of things, a lot will just throw it back in the car and go.  Business people can
be reasonable but there is over head (utilities, taxes) that has to be paid and can't just
do it for coffee money.  Years ago maybe business cost was a lot lower for shops like ours.

Maybe we should start making videos?

Doyle

sofadoc

Poking around on Youtube, I've watched a fair amount of "How-To" upholstery videos. Some pretty good, some not so good. Most of them tend to either rapidly gloss right over the tricky parts, or they dwell on the boring mundane parts far too long. I just don't have the attention span to fight through them.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

June 02, 2019, 07:10:38 am #2 Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:14:37 am by gene
Many skills require time to get over a "learning curve". DIY videos do not eliminate this requirement, even though most DIYers think it does. DIY videos also do not tell you what to do when you screw up some aspect of a project. I put a nail through the water line, now what? I got hot melt glue on the velvet fabric, now what?

I enjoy watching Buckminster Upholstery videos. He does authentic upholstery restoration. His last posted video is 4 1/2 minutes. The total time he spent on making that edge roll was probably over 1 hour, even with his years of experience. Most DIYers see a video like that and they think they can do the same thing in 4 1/2 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/user/BuckUpholstery/videos

I've watched a lot of woodworking videos on youtube. They often will speed up the video showing repetitive tasks, such as using the table saw to cut multiple strips of wood. I wonder how many people watch those videos and do not realize the video is speeded up and they think they can cut wood just as fast?

Recently a guy bought a dining chair from a junk store for $15. He was going to use it on his back porch. He asked me what I would charge to recover the slip seat. I told him and he said he would do it himself. I saw him a few weeks later and he said he put a plastic bag over the chair instead of redoing the slip seat and it works just fine for him. Most DIYers are not looking to spend money for their project. That's why they are DIYing. So how much of my time do I want to give to them for free?

My favorite: A DIYer can't figure out how to do something. They ask me and I tell then what to do. They then want to argue with me that there is a better way to do it. This always gives me a laugh and this always ends our conversation. LOL

I don't mind answering a few questions for DIYers. I too enjoy learning new things and occasionally will ask someone who knows more than me.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!