Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:21:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What sewing machine would they use?

Started by baileyuph, April 12, 2019, 05:48:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

April 12, 2019, 05:48:08 am Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:47:13 am by baileyuph
Got a wing back rocker with portable cushions (back for example is large center & small wing back
cushions on each side of the center cushion.  Cushion has loops along top that hook on the post.

Fairly common type chair but noticed the back rest cushion was formed by slipping the 2 1/2 plus
thick foam in the cover and then sewing the two vertical seams to form the large center and two wing
cushion look.

The foam is not all that soft and I am wondering what machine would sew that thickness?  None
of my walking feet machines will.

First, I thought about just rejecting the job, then decided to run the foam through the saw to get the
seams forming the wing back parts (2 seams like I mentioned) are formed, required to only go through
the fabric.  This way, the three foam pockets are formed so the foam pieces (3) can be slipped in from
the bottom.

Sure couldn't believe an upholsterer would have such a machine.

Found a tag that stated "made by" or "sold by" :  Towne Square Furn in Hillsboro, Texas 76645.

The "sold by" is likely what applies.  However, it didn't look real cheap to be from Asia??

One thing for sure, I can't sew through that thick foam plus the fabric!!

Never know,

Doyle

kodydog

April 12, 2019, 06:03:48 am #1 Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:06:41 am by kodydog
We have an Singer industrial 111 machine and a Kenmore light industrial machine. I would not attempt sewing through 2-1/2" with either machine. Even if they could I think the seam would come out rather sloppy.

I do the method you suggested, sew the seam without the foam and then slip the foam in from the bottom. Maybe a layer of dacron to help fill it out.

We have also done this type cushion that doesn't form wings. It just lays flat against the back. On those Rose try's to talk the customer into replacing the seams with 6 buttons.

The list of furniture we no longer do keeps growing. I'm sure this style rocker will soon be added.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on April 12, 2019, 06:03:48 am
I do the method you suggested, sew the seam without the foam and then slip the foam in from the bottom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Machines like the 111W, as well as other brands made before the 80's were built with a maximum stitch length of about 4.5 stitches per inch.

My Juki LU 1508, the newer version of the LU 563 will do 3 SPI. With a wide stitch length and a 24 needle, I can sew those two seams that you guys are talking about. The foam has a groove cut in it, so you're not really trying to sew through the entire 2.5" thickness.

But with delicate fabrics, I sew first, then stuff from the bottom as mentioned.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

If you are going to sew the seams and then slide the foam into the pocket, you can wrap the foam in silk film (super thin plastic) and put your shop vac on one end to suction the foam down so it slides into the pocket with ease. This is the same technique when filling channels of the back of a chair or sofa.

I also remember seeing post bed type sewing machines that can sew these types of seams.

http://www.techsew.com/machinery/industrial-sewing-machines/post-machines.html?limit=all

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Finished that job, wasn't easy because the opening for "inserting the two side foam fillers" was
at the bottom where filler was widest. 

I cut the sides (or wings) of the foam which yielded or transformed the foam filler into three pieces
finally got it in with slip-ease.

Oh, I also analyzed the factor foam and there was no groove where the two side seams were
made.  So, factory slipped the one piece into the cover and sewed it (both sides). 

Could they have used a roller feed on a post bed machine(foam was fairly dense)?

I would have to do Much more of that kind of work to justify buying that equipment.

Small custom shops would have to rethink their business to keep re-upholstery prices
down.

BTW, I see some pretty high tech patterning & sewing in this "new furniture" today.  Factories
have the advantage of justifying with their volume. 

Which leads to the question:  "What is the future of the smaller custom shop in
upholstery"?

I do auto also and do note the difference in technology used in manufacturing.  Their seaming with
all types of top stitching are perfect and can do it with significant time savings.

Doyle