Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:11:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Price Checkers via Phone Calls

Started by baileyuph, March 26, 2019, 05:34:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Do you business people get a lot of price checkers on the phone?

It is one of the bigger interruptions of the day anymore.  They waste a lot of our time with little
intention of going forward.

Often, I try to be polite but at times do have to remind them that - giving prices is not easy on
a lot of things one cannot see and inspect.  As a reminder, I say my policy usually "have to see the
item".

They act like this work we do is a Walmart item!  Far from it!

The calls I reference are for all types of upholstery - not just furniture.

Doyle

kodydog

Can you just give me a ball park figure? Ummm no. Rose has found the people calling on the phone are usually more serious. Its sorting through the e-mails that drives her nuts. The first thing she does is narrow it down. Are they even in our service area. Many are out of state and just fishing for a price. A customer called last week. 60 miles away with 6 dining chairs. Rose told the customer if she could get them to us we would be happy to do them. Customers response was, I guess I could bring them to you, if that would be more convenient.

The problem with ball park estimates is once you go to pick it up and discover the chair needs spring work, joints repaired and new foam and then you add $200 to the estimate they get all upset and want to know why the original estimate was so low.

Typical phone call,

What kind of chair is it? IDK

Does it have a skirt? IDK

How are the springs and padding? IDK

Does it have cushions and do they remove? Cant you just give me a ball park figure?

Sure, It'll be between $500 and $1300.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Most people are able to text a photo nowadays. From that photo, I can at least give enough of a ballpark estimate to separate the serious inquiries from the tire kickers.

Trying to get a somewhat reasonable description over the phone always was like pulling teeth.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I agree I do 98% of estimates through pictures and email. I have pretty much eliminated the old in house calls and estimates. In this day and age it would financially kill me to do it the old way. Way to many tire kickers out there.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Quote from: MinUph on March 26, 2019, 03:52:31 pm
I agree I do 98% of estimates through pictures and email.

Yes, but the 2% is a sure bet. Here in little old High Springs if someone calls we make the trip. And 98% of that 2% have us do it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html