Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:18:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Makita

Started by SteveA, November 16, 2018, 07:16:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I finally broke down and bought an impact drill.  First job to swap out new breuer seats. Customer got them on line instead of having than recaned  The screw holes didn't match.  The makita drove the screws into the beech wood with no effort.  For a long time I've been using the rockwell with a screw bit but this makita is lighter - balanced - set up with the hex chuck and no clutch to deal with like on the cordless.  The cordless have good purposes but i'd rather have a corded tool anyday.  The makita is even lighter than the orange Black + Decker. 
I'm happy with this addition - what are the rest of you using and who has the impact style drills - what brand ?
SA

kodydog

Quote from: SteveA on November 16, 2018, 07:16:36 am

The cordless have good purposes but i'd rather have a corded tool anyday. SA

Lately I've been thinking the same thing. I've owned 2 Craftsman cordless and 3 DeWalt cordless drills. The last Craftsman I owned lasted about 6 years. The last Dewalt only lasted 3 years. My backup is a corded Craftsman and I have owned for about 18 years.

I always thought DeWalt was a higher end tool and Craftsman was so so. Starting to change my mind.

I've used impact drills several times. But I've never owned one. They are a nice tool to have.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I have air tools for most of my impact needs.

I do have one cheapo electric impact drill from Harbor Freight. About $30 I think. I occasionally use it for drilling into my brick wall, or concrete floor.

I don't think there is an appreciable difference in quality between any of the major brands anymore. They all have downgraded their tools to make their price points conducive to selling at retail giants like Lowe's and Home Depot.

The biggest problem with cordless tools is the same as it's always been. When the batteries wear out, they cost almost as much as a whole new rig.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

November 16, 2018, 04:34:30 pm #3 Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:39:31 pm by brmax
I like the milwaukee drill bits, made for an impact driver.  There steel throughout, as Ive broke the aluminum shank on others. In these im talking small under a 1/4" bits, and the shanks are all the same. Honestly I havent looked for bigger bits though im all ears.

If using in a convential drill connection like a typical jacobs these hex shanks could possibly mount deeper and survive. But these cost more, and not really a cost effective option.

Ive had a dewalt 1/2 hammer drill, and don't recommend. The hammer function was lame and just trashed bits. This as you know is the main cost, masonsry bits.

I had a plain jane Milwaukee magnum 1/2" that would twisted my arms off, from 1988 to 2012 without a hickup one. I used this seriously and swear by this particular piece of equipment.
If their hammer model work excellent for a third of the time I would buy one.

The last two tools I needed "now" and replaced, got the winners choice of Bosch last year. These are both their top line models, I thought! especially for their cost. ( buy once cry once )

But importantly is again a choice considered a lifetime choice ha ha. Just as the before selections!
Although these have, and when first used had amazing qualities.
When holidays are past, I may look into this brand for a 1/2" hammer drill. Though honestly if these are lag/ concrete anchor size. It aint happening with these. Btdt
I now smartly rent a real tool with splined shaft and makes this job stupid easy, hell i can put in 2' long bits and rest on the job.

I can easily say hex drive drill bits, mounted in a quick connector as cordless impacts typically are. Have a bit more wobble. In my applications I consider this, and still I feel this is an important bit to you all.

Good day

Floyd

ps: if anyone needs a 1" drive impact, with 1' extended shaft and weighs likely 35 lbs for your #6 brass screws give me a buzz. Your welcome to use the dolly to move it and the 5# sockets around