Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:23:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tools and experience using them is a business assett

Started by baileyuph, September 16, 2018, 07:29:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Lately, there has been a lot of buzz about tools for this or that upholsters can benefit from -

one that I use frequently is my mig welder with oxygen tank.  Easy to understand if one does
auto but other applications are sometimes in furniture.

It sure saves time taking the job to another shop (welding) to have it done.  It does take space to have the equipment on board.  I am probably like most here, do about any type of work - the welder can
speed things up.  Actually, some or a lot of farm equipment has upholstered seats and this is one
dimension where the mig can be quite an asset.

Being in business and taking care of customers to make a living is what it can be about - plus the learning
experience can become added satisfaction, as well as profitable.

Doyle

sofadoc

I'm located about 3 blocks from a welder.

I take broken recliner mechanisms to him. He welds them while I wait (usually 5-10 minutes).
Typical charge is $15-$25.

Much easier than scouring the internet for the right mechanism (only to end up getting sent the wrong one anyway). And the welded mech is usually stronger than it was new.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Sofa Doc you are very fortunate to have an accommodating welder so close to your shop.

The first thing Rose askes when giving an estimate on a recliner is how does the mechanism work. If there are any opening or closing problems she turns the job down.

My welding experience consists of 15 minutes during a construction class I took.

There is only one job I remember that needed welding. A metal frame bar stool with a broken foot rest. I took the job because my neighbor had welding equipment and he was always looking for something to do. He used a technique he called braze. Don't ask me what that means, all I know is it worked. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

When we expanded into commercial & residential awnings I toyed with the idea of getting all the equipment we may need. I ended up sub'ing out the frame work to a welder in our industrial park. We are so cramped for space that setting up a work area would have been real hard.

I had to purchase a new drill press for our manufacturing company. A good drill press for production work starts at $ 1,000. I complained about the cost but soon quit when I stopped at my buddies fabrication company to pick up some parts he was manufacturing for us. There sat his CNC punch machine running a line of parts for another customer. Cost of the machine was $ 600,000. I walked over to his drilling area and he had 6 drill presses all set up to do different things. Mega bucks in drill presses.

I guess it is all relevant. I have never skimped on tools as my wife is always yelling " buy what ever tool makes the job quicker and easier and buy the highest quality tool you can so we only have to buy it once ".

Mojo 

65Buick

Mojo - I'm not familiar with various CNC machines. Though, I have heard of folks who essentially never stop their mill if possible because they are so expensive
They are wonderful pieces of equipment. It reallt does put things into perspective though.
The next city down the way has a group in which you can actually toy with one, so long as you take a couple preliminary classes.

baileyuph

There are few days that go by in business that customers don't bring something other than
upholstery in for a repair:

Yes, welding - word got around, over time the "owner can do welding".

Also, wood repairs - in the shop there are radial, table, and portable saws -  a joiner, etc., like said
word gets around.  Customers come in with wood parts (even bed room pieces) for repair.  The pieces
often pay more than upholstery repairs.  The work is enjoyable and there are fewer doing the work.

Zippers are a good repair business - did one this week on a very expensive lawn machine - customer said he had been to several sewing shops (clothing type I suppose) and one who knew me said to take it to me.  These expensive lawn bags (customer said more than $200 he knew his cost) and customers will pay.  Zippers, with knowledge can pay - they don't expect the work for nothing like some do for the cheaply made China (type) furniture. 

Equipment, like Mojo said, good stuff can be an asset, challenging to work with.  I have the air
powered nailers - those with good wood/ glue/clamps/saws to make or repair makes for an interesting job.

Steve and other wood guys will know what a Shop Smith tool is - got one and really appreciate the
many things that can be done on it.  Also, the band saw(s) with the foam cutter are used regularly.

Times change (maybe I will rent a brush clearing machine-wink)? 

Technology is fascinating!

Doyle

kodydog

When my father retired he set up a woodworking shop in half of his garage. My brother-in-law gave him a Shop Smith and it was the perfect size for that small space. Dad used it daily and could do almost anything with it.

When he passed I was looking forward to inheriting it. When it came time to divide his tools my Brother-in-law asked if he could have it back. What could I say? Of course I told him he could. :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Kody,
  I wanted a Shop smith for most of my adult life after seeing it at our state fair one year. I finally bought one used it was in like new condition. I found out quickly it was just to much change over time for me. I had become use to separate tools so I sold it probably within a year.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website