Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:15:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Uniform?

Started by 65Buick, September 04, 2018, 08:21:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

I was sitting here thinking what I migh be for halloween. Or, what kind of pumpkin person I'd do.
Then I thought, was there ever an upholsterers uniform? Like, painters wear white coveralls.
Plumbers wear pants that show their crack.
Highway workers wear orange.
What about us?

kodydog

September 05, 2018, 06:27:46 am #1 Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 06:31:06 am by kodydog
When I worked for the bus conversion company they gave me three orange t-shirts with the company logo on it. For safety reasons everybody had to wear long pants. I always wondered how much difference a pair of blue jeans would make if an accident occurred.

In my shop its cargo shorts and an old t-shirt. Whenever I wear a good shirt to work you can bet it will have a hole in it by the end of the day.

I always thought about ordering some shirts with our company logo on it but never got around to it. I have two t-shirts from Greenhouse Fabrics. Upholsterers never die. That and my tool belt strapped on is about as close to a uniform that I'll ever get.

Another t-shirt I've seen says, skilled labor isn't cheep, cheep labor isn't skilled. That with a company logo would be pretty neat. I'm not sure what my customers would think. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

sofadoc

September 05, 2018, 11:09:32 am #3 Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:11:00 am by sofadoc
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

65, I'm thinking you're too old to be trick or treating. :-)

Here's an idea for you: Get a kid to walk with you going door to door. Have the kid wear a cowboy outfit with a hat, bandana, chaps, and a two gun holster around his waist. When the homeowner comes to the door, the kid says, "Trick or treat". The kid then wiggles a bit and his two gun holster falls to the ground. You bend over and pull the two gun holster up around the kid's waist. You look at the homeowner and say, "I'm an up hosterer." LOL

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

I made an apron when I was still sewing and doing upholstery work. I placed the pockets at strategic places for hand tools. It sure saved a lot of steps around the shop.

Today I wear shorts and a sleeveless T-shirt ( Florida is smoking hot ). If a customer is coming in that day for an appointment then I wear a t-shirt with our logo. I keep a dress shirt and nice t-shirt in my office so I can change out quickly. If I am going out into public to meet a customer or if I am giving seminars I wear dress pants with a button down dress shirt that is embroidered with our logo. When in public I always am OCD about displaying a professional appearance. I even comb my hair and put my teeth in. :)

Mojo

65Buick

thanks all for your (various) responses. :) and gene, that's actually not a bad idea. it's too bad my 7 year old nephew lives 200 miles away.

I too made myself an apron and work like that sometimes. It's amazing how many different tools we use.
Then when I go to my interior designer meetings, lately, I wear a nice dress long sleeve shirt & clean jeans. We have name tags so I don't do the embroidered shirt anymore.

MinUph

Speaking of Embroidered shirts and such. I did them for years. But found it timely and a little expensive. I stopped doing them myself many years ago, and jobbing them out took time and planning. I also bought labels for the decks of sofas and chairs as a bit of advertising which BTW didn't like at all.

So I figured a new way and I kill two birds with one stone. I have been doing vinyl lettering stuff for a few years so I bought an inexpensive heat press and cut out my company name (logo) press it on the shirts and decks of sofas and chairs and now I have control and the cost is very minimal. The vinyl is excellent quality and will outlast the shirts and probably the furniture.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Excellent way of putting your label on the work Paul.  Good way to represent your work - I am sure
there was (still is) a good way to keep your name out there.

Doyle