Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:54:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Respect For Equipment Operators

Started by Mojo, September 03, 2018, 04:18:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

From marketing to backhoe operator. The things I get myself into.

I leased a backhoe for a week and cleared some of the 3 acres we have. I can tell you that after spending 7 days on a backhoe I have a ton of respect for these operators. Good Lord. My back and kidneys ached like the dickens at the end of each day after being beat, banged, bumped and bounced around in the seat all day.

THis property was long overdue for a good clearing and I ended up with about 60 yards of underbrush, pine needles and vines. I left all of the majestic pines and oak trees. Put down 40 yards of Reman 57 rock and created 2 new drives. I am hoping that this will cut down on the snake problem. We have been over run with coral snakes and a few weeks ago while under the coach greasing the U joints I had one visit me. It was 12 inches from my head and thankfully moved away when I moved ever so slightly.

I am sure most of you remember me getting bit by a pygmy rattler 2 years ago that ended up in the basement of our coach ( via some boxes that were on the ground during the day ). The coral snakes have a hard time injecting venom into you because of having short fangs but if they do, you are in for a battle. A guy in Bama just died from a coral snake bite a couple months ago. My oncologist said to avoid all snakes if possible as he felt he couldn't save me if I got bit. I struggled with the pygmy rattler bite for 2 weeks and thankfully it has cyto toxin versus neuro toxin. The coral snake delivers a high dose of neuro toxin. That created a bit of a snake phobia for me. :)

I have to admit I had a blast running that backhoe. Much cooler then a dang sewing machine. Talking about eye/hand coordination. Yowzer. It takes a full day or two to get used to it and operate it efficiently. They are also expensive as all get out - $ 1,600 for a week. I would have probably enjoyed flying a plane instead. :)

Mojo

RiCat

Hello Chris, Good for you that you got a backhoe and got after it. It is nice to do something new to break the norm. Talking about appreciating watching professional work equipment, I just watched for the past two days my son get after it on my property with a mini-excavator and a bob cat with several attachments. He is a foreman for a pipe laying crew for a large construction company in Tampa. He also is a professional operator for the large excavators and other large equipment.  To watch him manipulate that mini on taking down trees, digging holes, and I mean large ones to bury large piles of old construction material and clearing was rather eye-opening. Then take the bob cat and grade, lay a rock bed and clear with it. He had a construction sized dumpster delivered and it is now ¾ full. What is really nice is he likes to ride dirt bikes. He bush hogged a nice wide path around from the middle to the back of the property to build a track. With the big pile of dirt he had from the hole to bury the construction material, he built jumps (one having an old boat on the place, turning it upside down and using the v-hull as the base) and banked turns. Me? I just got me a beer and a cee-gar and enjoyed the man my son has become.

Rick

kodydog

I thought I could save several hundred dollars by replacing a well pump myself. Simple enough, right? Take the old one off, put the new one on. 30 hours later and much cussing it still ain't right. They are much more complicated than I realized. Now I'm wishing I had just hired the well guy.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Come on Mojo - just another minor campagine for you - You are always in trouble !  The neighbors must have been happy to see that rig go back.  I'm sure they wondered if their property was next on the chopping block when they saw a wild man breaking stuff with a big machine -  I hope you can throttle back down to work a sewing machine again - 
SA

65Buick

Sounds like you guys have LAND
Something I always dreamed of. 😞

baileyuph

You demonstrated true grit - Mojo!

Not many like you around anymore.  There is money around here operating heavy duty equipment.

Sure different than working numbers on a key board. 

You are just started, now imagine what can be done if you accumulate more equipment and go
after the development jobs!

Pays more than running a sewing machine - huh?

But sewing machines - no snakes to deal with - usually.

Keep on grinding!

Mojo

Rick:

Sounds like your son got er dun. Glad you are getting that property cleared. I have up dirt bikes years ago when I realized I do not heal as well as I used to. I miss them sometimes but know better then to jump on one. :)

I do have to confess I enjoyed running that backhoe. This is my 3rd rental of equipment. 1st time was to make an RV pad and prep it for cement. 2nd time was to replace the drain field at the house. 3rd time was for this clearing job.

I have always loved operating things like this. I used to have a farm and had a blast running equipment there. I would have hired it done but did not want to deal with equipment operators who couldn't follow directions. It also would have been a lot more expensive. I believe the going rate is $ 80 per hour. Excavation equipment like front end loaders are even more. I saved myself about a grand probably and got it done exactly the way I wanted.

Mojo

baileyuph

Yes, operating these kind of equipment is different.  Surely helps to have experience.

Also, the equipment is expensive.  Depending on the brand the options of repair are different - I have
learned.  For example the CAT equipment seat (operators driving) - if the upholstery is worn or(?) the
only thing CAT will sell is the complete seat assembly - that is -- anything related and it can get expensive.
Should say expensive because it is well over $2600 - customers tell me.  Some will disassemble and
bring me the things that we might relate to as "seat".  They often relate to the fact that CAT will not just
sell the foam padding or just the upholstery.  This is with respect to CAT. 

So, that becomes potential business for me - even that is not as easy as it sounds.  The material is some
kind of cloth and is bonded to the seat form.  I had to do some experimenting with that aspect.

Yes, the equipment is expensive - a primary reason for many users to rent and learn!

Very impressive but fully expected by Mojo!

Doyle