Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 04:02:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Now the added dimensional cost - Tariffs

Started by baileyuph, June 23, 2018, 06:05:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

So much of our furniture and fabrics come from countries like China.  That said, how is this going to play
out on the retailing of the same in the US?

It is an obvious question because the shipper applies the tariff and the receiver pays.  If this issue
becomes significant (fully expected) then it could be a positive for the US producer(not consumers
necessarily).

These are forces to keep our eye on.

Doyle

kodydog

June 25, 2018, 07:29:38 pm #1 Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:41:59 pm by kodydog
I have friends who are natives of Bolivia. When they come to United States to visit they stock up on some of the oddest stuff. Shampoo, deodorant, makeup and designer clothing like Levi's and Niki shoes. I asked them don't you have these products in Bolivia? They said yes but the tariffs are so high it puts the price out of the average person rage. They told me if a product is made in Bolivia like blue jeans then a tariff is imposed on any imports of that country. Only problem is the jeans produced in Bolivia are substandard. Cheap.

The Bolivian government believes if you force people to buy products from your own country it will help stimulate the economy. But that is only true if the product is something the people want.

Point is the Bolivian Government imposes tariffs on the United Stated. But how many Tariffs does the United States impose on Bolivia? Not many.

The same is true with larger countries like China, India, Canada and Russia. The United States is getting ripped off when it comes to tariffs.

I've never been a big propionate of Tariffs. To me they only raise the cost of goods. But when other countries use tariffs to block imports from coming into their country what are we supposed to do. Just look at Germany and the automobile industry.

The United Stated has the upper hand, these other countries depend on us for exports. It's time to level the playing field. I think it will bring industry back into the USA.     
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

I have to agree with Ed. Anyone who does not understand the tariff situation only needs to look at our ballooning trade deficits. We run huge trade imbalances with nearly every country in the world. We can no longer afford to allow other countries to take advantage of us like this.

On the same note, these tariff's are starting to hit us. Our raw stainless steel prices went up last week. Our best selling product that we manufacture is made of stainless. Our second best selling product is made from aluminum and the price increases for both of these metals has gone up. I am left with no choice but to increases our prices July 1st as we cannot continue to absorb the costs.

Part of the problem with these steel price increases is Wall St. where speculators have driven the price up. The rest can be attributed to the tariffs. I had to laugh last week as we shipped an order of our Guardian Plates to Europe. We are the only company to manufacture these Guardian Plates and one of the few parts companies that will ship to Europe.

I am against trade wars and tariffs and wished we had an open and free world market. But when countries start " protecting " their industries by adding tariff's and subsequently running up trade deficits with the USA then something has to be done. We cannot continue to get kicked in the shins over trade.

Mojo

baileyuph

I share your feelings about this trade situation.

Then, it seems the local press (newspaper, etc), sure can get into the politics of the matter instead of
just reporting. 

Makes a reader question everything in the news, all levels.

Doyle