Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 02:23:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Joy Of Upholstery

Started by kodydog, May 09, 2018, 06:09:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Do you believe people derive more satisfaction from being an intricate part of the process of having a piece of furniture recovered rather than buying a piece at a furniture store.

https://search.google.com/local/posts?q=Ladd+Upholstery+Designs&ludocid=13017239816277656305&lpsid=4839578296395298502
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

One of these days I am going to find the exact chair I have had in my memory which is very similar to the one in the article. I have fond memories of seeing my grandfather sit in a chair similar to that. If I had my way I would have a home filled with these treasures.

But then again I am an antique nut. :)

Mojo

SteveA

I think a  percentage of folks are hyped up seeing a restoration.  But many pretend to care just so they convey they'll keep you on your toes.  Some are concerned that the quality of  restoration will match their level of furnishings and be acceptable to the Jones's.  Some are preserving their parents or grandparents memory. 
The folks who are determined to convince me they know how something should be done - the more it's revealed they have no idea what's really necessary to accomplish the job correctly.
I do embrace those who want to see the job as it progresses. This shows them; and they come to appreciate the work that really goes into every job.
SA

65Buick

Yes and No. It just depends. What kind of person are they? Are they so 'busy' that they just can't be bothered?

I will say that I think the interest is increasing. In part to HGTV and other 'diy' type television shows, now social media, and something else to take pride in. People are *somewhat* getting over mass-produced stuff that has no character, and is built by people working for pennies.

In my area, I have seen an explosion of interest in older furniture. This is good news; people are taking the time to find quality items. Maybe they've been burned in the past and spent considerable money just to find out the materials are sub-par. Though eventually, big manufacturers will catch on and realize that they can't sell unless they prove that the materials are quality. And with the internet, that makes it so much easier to find out before someone buys.

I had a meeting last night with the local designers, at a business that carries used lumber. They make the wood into very beautiful things, like floors, tables, etc. A designer commented that it's all fine and dandy, but somehow they need to make the process easy because they're always just kind of going with what they know.

I think that applies to us as well. People don't usually do things they perceive to be difficult. That's why a lot of the time myself and other vendors of mid-century furniture just select a fabric deemed appropriate and put it up for sale. So maybe streamlining the process or finding an easier way to help those who want some knowledge and selection of materials would help.

Mojo

Do you guys think the USA will someday run out of antique furniture to restore ? So many people have little clue as to what they have and throw out Grandma and Grandpa's old furniture.

I just wonder if the millenials have any attachment to antiques at all and just toss stuff out.

On another note I have traveled extensively in Europe. The furniture trends there are different then here. Their styles are very cosmopolitan and futuristic. Squared off, flat cushions, steel, etc. I am not a fan of this type of furniture and I find it ironic that Europe produced some of the greatest furniture designs back in the Victorian age and now the trend is more in line with the Jettson's.

Mojo

kodydog

For the most part younger people do not have furniture reupholstered. I think a big part of that is they simply cannot afford to spend $1500 to recover a sofa. There are many other priorities that have to come first like raising a family or buying a new car.

To me it is always surprising when someone under 30 gives us the go ahead on a job. It doesn't happen often but we just finished a big job for two sisters. Both I would guess are under 30. Together they upholstered 3 sofas and a love seat. They inherited it all from their grandmother and I'm guessing some money too.

Mostly I hear it from the grandparents who tell us their grandchildren don't want that "old stuff". Hopefully their tastes will change as they mature.

As far as running out of antiques and I like to include vintage and mid-century into this group. When I go to antique stores there doesn't seem to be a shortage. Most of what I recover is 40 years or older.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

When we were born - mid century was the current available style.  Today mid century is considered highly desirable and collectible.  Time marches on and antiques will always be considered anything older than 100 years.  Hopefully repairs will always be necessary.  England, France, Germany and the low countries lead the way as the best ever produced - Italy next - China, Spain and Portugal.
Probably not affordable to most - even restoration for these pieces will exceed the younger peoples budgets.  I don't care for that futuristic style but I'm a wood guy. Americans did make quality furniture which fits into the scale somewhere although many pieces in America were built by folks who came from another land.  The high rollers like Federal but if I were gifted furniture and I could choose I'll take Herter brothers - a Victorian maker and it doesn't get better than that for the 19th century American period.
My Children would rather shop at Raymour & Flanigan than purchase an antique from an auction or gallery.
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on May 12, 2018, 09:19:30 am
As far as running out of antiques and I like to include vintage and mid-century into this group. When I go to antique stores there doesn't seem to be a shortage. Most of what I recover is 40 years or older.
As an industry, we can't depend on an ever-shrinking supply for our livelihood. If we're relying on thrift store furniture and stuff from Grandma's house to sustain us, we're doomed. It may seem like there's a surplus at the antique stores, but I suspect that's only because there are so few upholsterers to do them all.

3 or 4 times a year, I go to the landfill with abandoned furniture. Most of it is over 30 years old.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

The reupholstery business will not be able to depend on the "antique" business.  Not only due to the lack
antiques but more critical is the small business will not (actually is not) be able to compete with
technical capabilities already demonstrated by the manufacturing industries today.

A simple example, the black smith industry, is essentially gone and been gone. 

But, as the upholstery changes, a smart operator might be able to spot and take advantage
of some of the market related to the business. 

So, be smart and get smarter on newer technologies and any associated markets that develop or
come into your eye sight and understanding going forward.

Change should not surprise upholsters because it is apparent in just about every activity around us.

Keep swinging and maybe the right pitch may come that will facilitate a "home run".

Good reading all.

Doyle