Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:08:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Slippery fingers

Started by gene, April 12, 2018, 06:24:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

April 12, 2018, 06:24:12 pm Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:25:21 pm by gene
I could never be accused of having sticky fingers.

I don't remember when it started, but probably a year or so after I began working with fabrics full time, my fingers got slippery to the point where I had difficulty dealing playing cards. I know a few slight of hand magic tricks and I could no longer do these tricks.

I don't know if chemicals from the fabrics were on my fingers or if the oils from my fingers were constantly being drawn away by the fabric.

Occasionally I would have a fabric that was slippery and difficult to handle when sewing.

Last week I bought a pair of cotton sewing gloves that have rubber tips on the fingers. They work great! I'm not sure how long they will last though. The seem to pick up the color of whatever fabric I am using.

Has anyone else had this issue with their fingers. I'm wondering if it's an issue of chemicals in the fabric or the oils being removed from my fingers or something else. And this is not the same thing as my fingers being tired. I can tell there is a difference between these two issues.

Thanks,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on April 12, 2018, 06:24:12 pm
Has anyone else had this issue with their fingers. I'm wondering if it's an issue of chemicals in the fabric or the oils being removed from my fingers or something else.

Where I've noticed it most, is trying to swipe my finger to answer an I-phone. The phone is ringing away, and I'm swiping like crazy. Can't get the "Slide to answer" icon to work. It's like the phone doesn't even acknowledge my fingers as human.

I don't do any slight of hand card tricks. But anytime the family gets together to play cards, I'm always designated dealer, because I can shuffle like nobody's business. I haven't noticed my fabric-related phalanges affliction affecting my ability to shuffle and deal cards.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I have noticed some fabrics have an oily slippery feeling, especially some chenille's. And especially when pulling it through the frame or pulling it up and over the top of the frame. Anywhere you need a firm grip. I always thought it was my imagination or maybe I was getting old and weak.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html