Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 03:58:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting your lip

Started by gene, December 13, 2017, 06:01:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

December 13, 2017, 06:01:31 pm Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:04:53 pm by gene
I made 18 yards of single welt cord that I needed to glue into the slots on dining room chairs. In order to do this I had to cut off the lip. I have used scissors in the past. I'm working with velvet this time and all that cutting is tough on my hand.

I made a video but photobucket does not allow uploads of videos and I need to update photobucket to post a picture. So hopefully you can make sense of this. I used my my electric cutter to cut off the lip. Wow does it go fast and easy! The blade guard is just thick enough to keep the stitches away from the blade but thin enough to cut very close to the stitches. I pulled the welt cord through the cutter.

It only took me a few minutes to get er' done.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Gene, I hope you can post a video somewhere I'd like to see this.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Inger-in-Norway

Gene, have you got Dropbox or OneDrive or something like that? If you have, put the video in there and send me a message with the link to it. I can upload it to my server so that it can be displayed here.

sofadoc

December 14, 2017, 07:15:05 am #3 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:44:51 am by sofadoc
Inger

That's nice of you to offer. But we might keep you busy if you do it for everyone.

We used to post tons of videos and pics on this forum. Usually linked to a Photobucket thumbnail. But PB has gotten very difficult to use now. Their "free" version is chocked full of ads. They sent me an email wanting $400 for the full version.

The "Picture posting Primer" sticky that HD Flame posted at the top of General Discussion in 2010 has probably outlived it's usefulness.

We tried Google Photos before, but I think a few had trouble with it.
Let me know if this link works:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aqh9LbdoK4CIQObk1
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

December 14, 2017, 08:12:07 am #4 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:15:11 am by 65Buick
Gene what a great tip.
I will be doing that soon too.

And sofadoc the vid worked for me. Thanks. Videos are very helpful.

Inger-in-Norway

December 14, 2017, 08:27:57 am #5 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:31:05 am by Inger-in-Norway
Thanks for your concern. Here is Gene's video: http://eikweb.com/stuff/uph-forum/video.html

There are several ways to do this: add to YouTube is another option. If videos (or images) are to be uploaded, the best naming would be no spaces in the file name. Use all in one word, dashes or underscores.

sofadoc

Maybe I have a slow connection. But I can't get Gene's video to play. Just a still shot.

kodydog

December 14, 2017, 09:14:02 am #7 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:41:24 am by kodydog
Genes video worked for me but was constantly streaming. Not unusual for my computer. We're getting ready to upgrade our incoming line. I think it has to do with bandwidth.

Sofas video worked very well with no streaming.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Inger-in-Norway

The video file is about 67-68 MB, so it probably takes some loading time.

MinUph

Both played fine for me. I misunderstood and thought Genes was for double welt. Oh well thanks for taking the time.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Rich

Played fine for me (I'm actually surprised since this computer doesn't usually do that).
Gene, how have you used that laser marker? I got mine at Harbor Freight recently and used it as a guide for my sewing machine. Looks like a decent piece.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

MinUph

Quote from: Rich on December 14, 2017, 04:42:18 pm
Played fine for me (I'm actually surprised since this computer doesn't usually do that).
Gene, how have you used that laser marker? I got mine at Harbor Freight recently and used it as a guide for my sewing machine. Looks like a decent piece.
Rich

Rich, I don't see this light at HF what is it called?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

December 14, 2017, 07:51:12 pm #12 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:52:28 pm by gene
Thank you Inger for posting my video. I believe it's my first video.

SofaD: your photo worked fine for me.

Rich: I use it to follow the lines on my fabric when I'm cutting the fabric. I have gotten addicted to it. It makes seeing the lines so much easier.

It uses 3 button type batteries and I just bought a pack of 8 from Amazon for under 4 bucks with free shipping.

Paul: I bought mine at the Harbor Freight store. https://www.harborfreight.com/laser-marker-93242.html

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on December 14, 2017, 07:51:12 pm
Rich: I use it to follow the lines on my fabric when I'm cutting the fabric. I have gotten addicted to it. It makes seeing the lines so much easier.
It uses 3 button type batteries and I just bought a pack of 8 from Amazon for under 4 bucks with free shipping.
Paul: I bought mine at the Harbor Freight store. https://www.harborfreight.com/laser-marker-93242.html

Gene: I bought one at HF yesterday. It says that it will project a laser line up to 9 feet. Mine only goes about 9 inches. Maybe the batteries that came with it are weak?