Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:04:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What are we?

Started by 65Buick, November 13, 2017, 12:30:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

What does everyone call themselves? Other than upholsterer, or re-upholsterer,

Artisan? Tradesperson? Craftsperson?

SteveA

CRAZY for spending 40 plus years trying to be the waiter, dish washer, cook, and about 10 other positions related to self employment 
SA

kodydog

When somebody asks what I do for a living I first tell them I am a business owner. And then I tell them I reupholster furniture. Then I tell them I've been doing it for over 30 years. At this point I pause and wait for the next question. And that is usually where did you learn? Then if its a man he will ask if I do car seats. If its a woman she will ask for an estimate on her sofa. That's when I point to Rose and say she does all the estimates.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Steve: great. something to look forward to.

Kody: Had this already too. It's people just trying to be polite. But honestly, there has to be a better way to answer. Neither want either, they're just talking.

Anyway, these questions aren't for nothing. I'm pushing myself hard to network. So far, so good. Not my idea of fun, by necessary.

kodydog

Alright how about these answers,

I make homes beautiful.

I put smiles on people's faces.

I make housewives happy. Say this one with a slight mischievous grin on your face.

And then you have to go right into your 30 second elevator spiel.

Mojo

I cannot speak for the rest of you but I call myself nucking futs for ever getting into this business. :)

Like Ed I call myself a business owner. But in all actuality we are all tradespeople. There is little difference between us being a diesel mechanic, HVAC technician, mason, lineman, etc. We all specialize in a trade.

JMHO,

Mojo

65Buick

Kody so you are a smileman. Ok, I can work with that.

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

Lol thanks Keith. My three favorites,

Upcycled: This means you build stuff out of garbage.

Master: If you use this word to describe yourself, and you don't have a certificate that explains your qualifications, then you aren't a master. You are a wiener. "Master" is a real word that has been made meaningless by self-important fancy boys.

Hand-selected, hand-whatever, handmade, handcrafted: These words are unnecessary. Do you build stuff with your feet? Your elbows? Until our robot overlords run the Ikea MDF slave factories, all furniture is made with the assistance of hands. If you don't use electrical tools in your work, you probably should find a different way to describe what you do.

I guess "hand tied" is out. How about 8-way toe tied. Has a ring doesn't it.

65Buick

LOL! toe-tied. Now we're talkin.

SteveA

I don't know exactly how the favorable term "Hand Made" became so popular but what I remember was when you looked at furniture was it assembly line construction, duplicating carving machines, joined wood by router dovetails, assembled using nail guns, and finished by glaze to even up the color. 
Today I was looking through the new Woodworkers Supply Catalog and I'm amazed most every item says "Import" I guess not made as well as the USA could -

Tradesman don't get enough credit for the everyday handwork and there are millions of us doing it every day without thanks.  But get published in one of those magazines for making a bookcase - or throwing / firing a vase and society calls you a master.

My favorite has always been This Old House - those guys don't claim to be exulted yet they have been providing and teaching the trade for 30 years and their financial compensation has always been very small - much credit to them !
SA

byhammerandhand

Quote from: kodydog on November 20, 2017, 05:33:50 am

Master: If you use this word to describe yourself, and you don't have a certificate that explains your qualifications, then you aren't a master. You are a wiener. "Master" is a real word that has been made meaningless by self-important fancy boys.

The guy that wrote this is a friend of mine and I think he uses the term "wiener" frequently as a euphemism for something a little less flattering.  It occurred to me last week that since I was born and grew up in Vienna (no, not that one), I'm probably by birthright a "Wiener".

Then there is the use of retronyms.  Now we have things like "hand cut dovetails."   Up until mid century, it seemed like they were just "dovetails" until machines came along.   Hand-carved, not until we had CNC machines, etc.   A friend has a "dial telephone" that his grandkids are both amused by and unable to figure out how to use.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Rich

I've been called the vinyl man, it used to affect the thoughts I had about who and what I was, but these days I say as long as I'm doing an honest day's work and they pay their bills, I don't care what name they give me.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

November 26, 2017, 08:55:28 am #13 Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:56:15 am by gene
We are the world, we are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So lets start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me

I never liked the term "rag tacker". I think it demeans the skills and experiences needed to do the quality of work we do. I can see someone on a factory assembly line stapling outside panels to furniture all day, using this term for themselves, but not for upholsterers.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on November 20, 2017, 08:15:13 am
"Master" is a real word that has been made meaningless by self-important fancy boys.
Actually, I kinda like that one.

Henceforth from this day forward, I shall be known as "Self important fancy boy".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban