Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:25:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foam knife

Started by 65Buick, September 21, 2017, 01:59:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Time to break down and buy a good foam rubber cutter.
Choice is: A used stanley from ebay, or one of these new ones from this website.

Can't afford a Bosch.

MinUph

Look for a used Bosch on eBay. Those others aren't worth it. You can find a decent one for a lot less than new. Just look for an 8" blade with it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

September 21, 2017, 02:59:11 pm #2 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:13:08 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: MinUph on September 21, 2017, 02:20:07 pm
Look for a used Bosch on eBay. Those others aren't worth it. You can find a decent one for a lot less than new. Just look for an 8" blade with it.

Paul's right. Be patient. A good deal will turn up eventually on ebay. I have 2 Bosch's. I paid $50 for one, and $110 for the other.

A turkey knife from Wally World will get you through until then.

Just be careful. Some of those deals are for "motor only". The blades, blade guide, and foot plate are all sold separately. Suddenly a $350 Bosch becomes a $600 Bosch. Look for a complete used one.

Quote from: 65Buick on September 21, 2017, 01:59:01 pm
Choice is: A used stanley from ebay, or one of these new ones from this website.
I went and looked at the Stanley on ebay. That might be a good one if both blades move. On some of them, only one blade moves (the other is stationary).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I never cut a lot of foam so got by with an electric turkey carving knife. I used to spray the blades down with silicone. It worked good for what I was doing. I probably would have invested in a Bosch if I was doing more foam work but couldn't justify the expense considering I was cutting random pieces of foam from time to time.

Mojo

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

September 21, 2017, 05:06:51 pm #5 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:14:42 pm by 65Buick
Been using my father-in-law's father's turkey knife. It's a montgomery ward. Has worked well but it's pooping out.
I'll just get another cheapo and keep my eye on a Bosch like you guys said.
That Bosch you found Paul is idea. I'm keeping my eyes on that bad boy.

sofadoc

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on September 21, 2017, 05:06:51 pm
Been using my father-in-law's father's turkey knife. It's a montgomery ward. Has worked well but it's pooping out.
I'll just get another cheapo and keep my eye on a Bosch like you guys said.
That Bosch you found Paul is idea. I'm keeping my eyes on that bad boy.

Only thing is you might want to write the seller and ask what size blades it comes with. I didn't see the size in the auction. But the motor looks new. So does the foot plate. Not a ton of use on it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I have the turkey cutter and another  tool specially designed for foam.  The turkey cutter is nice for rounding over the edge of a foam cushion or the edge of the foam after you glue it down to the top of an arm.  Th bigger cutter I have is called an Acu Cutter 350 it's the brand the local guy sells.  If you like to make straight 90 degree cuts with little effort for a box cushion or just sizing larger foam pieces this is a must have tool.
SA

brmax

I had seen a guy using a serrated knife on some foam rubber as in the blue/green and making it look easy and quite normal. So i went looking i found a millwauke but not sure it was long enough. Knife showed to be a 12" but could not really tell if that was blade or total. I think its real intent is the foam board insulation but looked worthy.

Floyd

Grebo

September 23, 2017, 05:23:18 am #10 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:25:46 am by Grebo
My first 'proper' foam saw was from here, the eze. Does a great job keeping edges straight compared to an carving knife  ;D
Used it for a few years until a bosch fell into my lap, what a different beast that is hardly any 'crumbs' smooth & much easier to control.
Bosch every time but the Eze is a good inbetween until you find one.

Suzi

brmax

Check this out, the bread knife so its a real option. I still like the Milwaukee for the cool factor ; )
https://youtu.be/xne0qjhFVNY

Floyd

65Buick

September 25, 2017, 10:18:16 am #12 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:21:35 am by 65Buick
Need a little help here. I asked the seller and he basically said look at the pics.
Not ever having used one of these I'm not sure it's complete.

As mentioned, not sure if the blade guide comes with it. I do see blades but I don't see any measurement.

Other than that it does look complete.

One more thing is that the housing for the front of the cutter (silver) Appears to be discolored between the two pieces. I had this happen to me once, a tool got really hot (not in use) and the lubricating oil melted out. That's what that looks like to me.

MinUph

I basically posted that auction to show what is out there. Since looking it over more and others pointing out the guild missing I am not 100% sure it is a good one. I see the discolor in the case and am not sure what that is. You may be right in what you say I don't know. But these saws are available and you just need to look and watch for them.
  Anyone that answers your question like this seller did is one you want to walk away from. They should kinda know the thing they are selling. And be helpful not "look at the listing" kind of answer.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

If you decide to take a chance on that one, I have an extra 8" blade guide and blades (used) that I can send you. The ones in the ebay pic appear to be 8" also.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gC6It0MTxYiWT3fF2