Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 04:25:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Glue

Started by SteveA, August 31, 2017, 09:23:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I don't use enough foam spray glue to justify buying a gallon and the spray jar.  I buy the cans from the upholstery supply house. 
What are the better rattle can brands - is the 3M extra strength contact spray any good for foam spray -
Or am I making a mistake by not using the K grip with the spray jar ?

Thanks,
SA

sofadoc

Many shops use the rattle cans. I never liked them because the nozzle clogs easily, or they run out of aerosol before all the glue is used up. I use the K-grip sprayer.

But I haven't heard any complaints about the strength of aerosol glue.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Steve I only have experience with the 3M spray cans and minimal use of a paintgun type in trimmer shops.  So i promote the use of the cans in low heat / sun enviroments.
As learning from professionals here and in Auto trimming, l am confident for standard foam adhesion these spray rattle type can products work great, they have for me. Especially when not much is needed, in this i mean small projects because i can promise you i have 2 cans in shop that wont spray. Been setting to long and them big cans are not cheap by any means. A side note when i infrequently dont have experience : ) i purchase the name that does, this works well. And thats funny i dont care who says it aint!
The sprayer with the jar container is an item i think one would find in every Upholstery shop somewhere. And consider if you do a lot of foam layering and custom work as mentioned, and use air compressor regularly this is a very good choice. I remember others mention these have a few particulars that gave changed.  It had been a long time since i looked for these specfics. In short ask Sofadoc anybody thats been looking at this stuff since knee high had and can be a guide here.
I say all this to lead in direction of the Auto and honestly Higher heat conditions our products "should be"  known they will be in.  In this specfic i have read countless post from auto trimmers that they use high heat adhesive only and have plenty stories why they only use Weldwood Landau http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/weldwood-landau-top-trim-high-heat-resistant-contact-cement/
This is one brand of two that most use in high heat.

Good day
Floyd

65Buick

I know my supplier sells gallons & gallons of the Landau stuff.

I personally like the cans because they're convenient and don't take up a lot of space.

I have tried 3M 77 & 84 and both work well for laminating foam & dacron. There's another (94) they market as being stronger but I have yet to use it or need it.

As others suggested, the nozzle clogs easily. If you're laminating foam, just wipe it off on the foam when you're done spraying. This works well for me and anything left behind with be dissolved from the solvents next time you spray.

SteveA

The supply house here sells a product in the can called V&S # 581 Foam + Fabric spray adhesive.  Works OK but also had some failures.  I wonder if someone stocks K grip in a spray can - that stuff seems to be superior. 
The 3M 84 worked OK but it's questionable if that non specific glue should be used for foam and fabric.
SA

brmax

Im embarrased
I should have known something more as Miami sells it. I cannot get the link to work here though?. Its also interesting that some and maybe more are non-flammable. And yes Steve they show rattle cans (thumbs up)
http://www.k-gripadhesives.com/Pages/PAGE_PRODUCTS.html
This brand im sure some here are extremely familar with, very interesting brand.  I would really like to here some careful specfics towards fabrics that we need a bit more care with..
to be honest amongst my pro freinds here, i always related the k-grip to just the sprayer.
http://m.yourautotrim.com/kgripsiphongun.html
Is it Friday

Thanks for the tip Steve
Floyd

MinUph

Over the years I've used the spray cans, K-Grip by the gallon and now we use Camie Clear. When I got to Florida I couldn't find the K-Grip gallons that I was use to so
I settled on Camie. When I found the K-Grip I bought a gallon and found it not to be as good as the Camie so we went back to Camie. It does get sprayed out of a K-Grip gun and we go through about a gallon every three to four weeks, I think my other Upholsterer drinks it LOL.
  The spray cans don't have the holding power for foam unless you load it up so much that the seam is hard. With seat foam you don't want to feel the glue joint. With Automotive work it doesn't matter as much.
  The K-Grip guns dont clog as bad as you would think but you do need to use the stuff or it goes thick.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

So K-grip is a manufacturer/brand from what I can see?

Also, Paul, when you say the seam gets hard what are you referring to? Like glueing two pieces of foam together?

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on August 31, 2017, 04:06:08 pm
So K-grip is a manufacturer/brand from what I can see?

Also, Paul, when you say the seam gets hard what are you referring to? Like glueing two pieces of foam together?

Exactly, The glue joint (seam) on two pieces of foam should not be felt. And yes K=Grip or K-Glue I forget which it is, is a brand and a gun.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I also use Camie 303B clear

SteveA

Now that I see you show the product in spray cans Floyd - I'll see about finding it here.  As Paul refers to a hard seam - that happened to me.  Ran out of the right size foam for a seat but had enough to glue two pieces together - put three light coats w/spray can - extended the dry time a little but edges stayed open and the seam was noticeably denser - anyway had to glue on a fabric patch to the top and bottom of the seam and the cotton disguised the difference.  Maybe it's me - it's probably me - but I notice some foams glue together better than others.  I was using 45 over a synthetic hair pad -
SA 

MinUph

Generally a contact type of glue you allow to dry before putting the pieces together but this is not the case with spray foam cement. Spray it on and put it together. Now these bug bomb cans of spray glue act a bit differently and do need a minute or less before attaching the two pieces.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Paul I got to try shorting the dry time - that's got to be it -  these glues are not exactly like the contact glue cement properties I'm use to working with i.e. laminating formica or melamine

Good advice - thanks again
SA

sofadoc

I keep a separate pressure regulator set at 40 PSI on my K-sprayer.

I also keep a case of spare Mason jars. When a jar needs cleaning, I just toss it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BETdOx9ndRKqtgk53

MinUph

Yea I get the jars by the case too. But spray at 85 PSI just like the rest of the tools.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website