Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 02:24:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Can I add a knee lifter to my 111w101

Started by slow96z, August 17, 2017, 11:40:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

slow96z

Hi guys.  It's been a while since I've been in here, but I have a question.  I have an old 111w101 with no reverse and I have upgraded to a servo motor so I can control the speed.  I finally got the thread unraveling and breaking issue that was plaguing me resolved (simple spring adjustment, $100 repair bill) and have my timing right so things are moving along swimmingly.  I have another customer that wants me to redo one of his boat seats and since I don't have reverse I think a knee lifter would help me out a lot.  Do any of you know if my machine has provisions for or can accept a knee lift?  I see the knee lift kits available for very reasonable but I'm just not sure if I will be able to install one aftermarket on my machine.

Sorry I haven't been around too much, but my trade is mechanics and electronic installs, upholstery is something I started to do for my own boat and sometimes I'm asked to do it for my customers.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice you have!

Justin

brmax

August 18, 2017, 02:52:21 pm #1 Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:07:55 pm by brmax
In a manual below i see in fig. 14, on back of machine view, the item (F) i believe to be the rod that normaly is used for presser foot lift. This rod goes through the casting and continues down through a raised portion in the oil pan. (Raised so not to leak  oil) The mechanics of this part below use a lever of sorts and are either linkage types chosen. So a knee bumper or a pedal n chain setup.
With all that i suspect some parts are there, can you identify some of these parts.
I think it is very much like a singer 212 model i restored.

Good day
Floyd

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/111W101_W104.pdf

Darren Henry

Quoteitem (F) i believe to be the rod that normaly is used for presser foot lift

Quite right Floyd. It's not a great picture, but it does show all the components for the machine end of the knee lift. That rod connects to a short piece of flat bar that is bolted to the body of the machine like a teeter totter. It moves a second piece of flat bar bolted about 2/3 of the way across that is attached to the shaft the presser foot sits on. The table end is an  assembly that bolts on with 3 lag bolts or large screws.

I've never done business with them personally because I'm in Canada, but Bob  T and his son Bobby from Toledo sales have been getting rave reviews and accolades on here longer than I have been a member. You can find them in our member list or PM Mojo. I know Chris has them on speed dial. They should be able hook you up with what ever components you are short.

If you need any help aligning it , drop me a line once you get your missing pieces.

Oh, before you order your parts, make sure the little wheel on the bottom of that shaft Floyd pointed out is in good repair.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

I seen this one and looks to be about what all are looking like ( a bit less cast iron ) but I believe still the same. I picked up one several years ago at Dr danes sew hospital.  Now the same is shown to be out a stock, again im sure the same in the link now! faster because its lighter ; )
So another supplier linked below that I have used on various things. The roller wheel rides on the small part looking like the table. Good luck and keep us posted.

Floyd

http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/singer-knee-lifter-complete-assembly-228368-for-111w-112w-107w-sewing-machines

Darren Henry

I thought maybe my coffee hadn't kicked in yet when I looked at that picture this morning. My Sargeant-Major vision went "that's wrong", so I had a look at my machines today and closer look at the picture. In their ad they have the knee lift at 90* to the pivot point of the hinge. Installed as illustrated it would not move and you could not mount it anywhere near usable. When you get yours, the two holes at the one end go to the left and the single hole to the right. Line it up with the rod from the machine sitting on the left end of the "table" from the lift assembly and then adjust back to your knee. And then turn the pad LOL. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!