Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 03:21:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

noob amateur

Started by neo71665, July 20, 2017, 07:48:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

neo71665

Thanks for a great forum guys. I just read through 216 pages of very helpful info in the last few days.

I'm mostly self taught. I did help an upholstery guy back when I was a teen and learned the very very basics of simple jobs. Enough that I was pretty good at doing car panels, headliners, and speaker boxes. I never got into it deep enough to be taught the correct way to do seats or major complex projects. After that I've pretty much only done atv seats for myself or close family and a few interior panels. A few years back I finally decided I wanted to learn how to do more and got a seat to teach myself. Got some cheap fabric and went at it. A few failures and much learning I got a final product I was happy with so I done my truck seats. They actually came out pretty good and had a number of people want to hire me after seeing them. At that time I still refused to do work for others, I was still a 9-5 licensed electrician. Now I'm unable due to disabilities to do electrical work so I've toyed with the idea of doing some small upholstery jobs here and there to help myself along. Not so much as I'm hurt for cash as just something to do.

I've already learned a number of tricks from reading and just wanted to say thanks.

DJ

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

Welcome. My father was a self employed electrician so I know from working with him how hard it can be on the body. Not to spook you off , but some upholstery projects can get pretty physical as well. Pick and choose your projects.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Welcome DJ. Like Darren said, light weight projects. Depending on your location and once you get a good reputation motorcycle seats could be profitable. Harley riders like to spend money on their bikes.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

OK but you're already above amateur - plus you can read and no longer need the union card -
What kind of machine do you have - and are you able to make the light come on at the same time you sew ?

SA

neo71665

July 21, 2017, 11:04:54 am #5 Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:06:27 am by neo71665
Quote from: Darren Henry on July 21, 2017, 04:24:14 am
Welcome. My father was a self employed electrician so I know from working with him how hard it can be on the body. Not to spook you off , but some upholstery projects can get pretty physical as well. Pick and choose your projects.

I'm not physically disabled. I actually have a digestive disorder that prevents me from lets just say going very far. I'm not able to go out on service calls anymore because of it.

Quote from: SteveA on July 21, 2017, 08:00:11 am
OK but you're already above amateur - plus you can read and no longer need the union card -
What kind of machine do you have - and are you able to make the light come on at the same time you sew ?

SA

Nothing but amateur. I'm sure if somebody that actually knew what they were doing and trained in this seen me cobbling together something under my machine they would take it away from me. I'm not gonna take any work away from a real upholster any time soon but we only have one other guy around here that tries. He does good work if you don't mind waiting 8-12 months for one bucket car seat.

Laugh but right now I'm working off of an old singer 66 that I restored. I've been looking over craigslist for something a bit more heavy duty to restore (aka something cheap). I need swift kick because when I was a teen I restored a singer 119-2 used it for awhile and let it go because I was getting away from doing this stuff and the lady offered me way more than I had in it. That thing was a beast.

And yeah I have no problem getting the sparky stuff where it needs to be.

SteveA

Welcome to the club of (seen better days)  - mostly backs, knees, feet, and now agita
SA

neo71665

Quote from: SteveA on July 21, 2017, 12:34:22 pm
Welcome to the club of (seen better days)  - mostly backs, knees, feet, and now agita
SA

I've been a charter member of that club since I was 16. Young enough to know everything and stupid enough it all had to be learnt the hard way.

Darren Henry

QuoteI actually have a digestive disorder that prevents me from lets just say going very far.

Again--careful with the heavy lifting. LOL.

QuoteI've been looking over craigslist for something a bit more heavy duty to restore (aka something cheap).

Singer 111W155's (a.k.a consew 225) are awesome machines that sell very cheap for some reason. Maybe it is the lack of reverse or the small bobbin, but neither of those things bother me. I almost bought a second one last week for $350 but I've spent too much rebuilding the transom on my boat and replacing the floor in my camper.

Bob Kovar and his son Bobby from Toledo sales are our resident gurus on machines and have hooked several our members up with good deals.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: neo71665 on July 21, 2017, 06:16:54 pm
I've been a charter member of that club since I was 16. Young enough to know everything and stupid enough it all had to be learnt the hard way.
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives you the test before the lesson.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Quote from: SteveA on July 21, 2017, 12:34:22 pm
SA

If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. :)

My 13 yr old granddaughter has been in the hospital for a month extremely sick with Chrone's disease. Digestive tract issues are not fun.

When I first started out in this racket I did what you are planning to do - I was retired and wanted to do a few odd jobs here and there to keep from going nuts. I loved those days because I got to do a lot of fun projects. Solar screens for an RV one day, a seat cushion for golf cart the next, a boat interior and then finally awnings. I worked whenever I wanted. Then I got a hair brained idea and decided to quit doing everything else and just specialize in RV awnings and the rest is history. We are the second largest aftermarket replacement awning company in the USA. I was just going to do this part time for something to do, just like you.

To be honest, I miss the old days. One never knows where our paths will lead us. Welcome to the forum. I wish you the best in your new found trade. Know that you have some of the countries best trades experts here on this forum. We have some awesome members here who are masters at their trades and took me from a newbie to where I am now with their help and advice. I am grateful to each and every member here for all they have done for me and others.

No Dennis, I am not going to send you a check for your advice and help. :)

Mojo

neo71665

I totally understand her situation with chrones. I have ulcerative colitis, same basic disease hers is in the small and mine was in the large intestine. They played musical meds with me for a few years and nothing worked. Had to go in and remove my large intestine last year it was so bad. I had dropped to 130lbs and didn't have any energy. My thoughts are with her being only 13 it must be rough. Mind didn't pop up till I was 32/33. I just hope it didn't get passed on to my son.

My electrical started out as a hobby. Mainly doing stereo installs, then rewiring auto restros (how I got into upholstery also) Next thing I knew I was in trade school getting an electrical license and wiring houses and such. I liked the work and going different places to work. I miss being able to go different places and being able to stay out.